Need help installing cable modem on new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabaBooey

Solid State Member
When I plugged in my cable modem from my roomate's computer into the new one, it doesn't recognize the new device plugged into the ethernet input (which it always has for USB). So I go to the add new hardware option, and it doesn't recognize any new devices; however, looking at my Device Manager, it DOES show "Sis 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter", though I don't know if that signifies any existence of an Ethernet modem being connected to said card. Using XP on my new PC, 98 on my old one. I'm scared.

Someone on another forum just told me that it's trying to get an IP from the modem, went to command prompt and typed 'ipconfig/renew' . It sat there for a minute and came back with an error specifying "unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

did you check to make sure the modem had power? did you check the lights on the modem? Most should prolly be solid green, except for one that says data or the like, RTFM.

yes, yes? I say destroy and rebuild. Remove nic driver from device manager and reboot. Pnp should catch your nic. Check Tcpip to make sure your pulling an address from dhcp. Open command prompt and run ipconfig /all. If you see your nic has an address like 169.xx.xxx.xx, there's still a problem where you can't find a dhcp server to get an ip address.

It makes sense that your computer dosen't show the modem in the device manager. This is because your modem is connected to your nic instead of the usb port.

Are you connecting the modem on the new computer by USB or by the NIC card?

It sounds like you're connecting through the USB. When I initially set my modem up that way, the brochures said that I had to load the drivers before I installed the modem. Have you tried using the driver CD to load the drivers, then plug in the modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom