Need help getting started with Ubiquiti and MoCA adapter

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hi all,

So I'm trying to switch out my FIOS-provided Actiontec router with some Ubiquiti eqiuipment (USG, 8-port switch, and AP Pro). The problem is, I'm currently unable to run ethernet from my ONT to the USG. Additionally, I have several TV Set Top Boxes which all run on coaxial.

So I purchased an Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02). The idea being that I would run my main coaxial line to that and then have ethernet coming out to my Ubiquiti USG. So the configuration looked like this:

ONT > (coaxial) > MoCA adapter Coax In port > MoCA adapter Coax Out port > (coaxial) > Coaxial splitter (where all of my TV STBs are connected) > MoCA adapter Ethernet port > (ethernet) > USG WAN port

*I hope the above is clear. Please let me know if I can provide more details.

With this current setup, my Unifi Controller software does not detect my USG during setup. However, I am able to ping the gateway (in this case 192.168.1.1) and also browse to the gateway to configure options on the WAN side (?) of the USG.

Additionally, my USG does not get any Internet connection. Interestingly, when I tried to swap out my USG for my original FIOS Actiontec router in this same configuration, I also could not get an Internet connection. I'm going to test more with the MoCA adapter to see if the issue may lie there.

So what I'm hoping to get assistance with is:

1.) Any thoughts on my why USG would not show up as a detected device in the Unifi controller, even though I can ping and browse to the gateway?

2.) Has anyone else tried the Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)? Did you have success in setting it up? Did I do something wrong in my current configuration?

I'd REALLY appreciate any help anyone could offer. I was up until 2:30AM the other night trying to get this to work so I'm bit frustrated with it, hehe. Thank you!!

If you have set tops you need coax and their router to use their GUI IIRC.

As to why you can't see the gateway, did you adopt it and set it up prior to doing all this with extra gear? When I first got my gateway it was a total bitch to setup because it needed the internet AND needed a firmware update because it was really out of date out of the box. From what I'm to understand if the hardware is too out of date the controller software won't see it.

What I would do is hook your original gear back up so you have net from the FiOS router, hook the WAN on the USG up to port one of the FiOS router, hook your PC up to LAN on the USG, get into the USG and make sure it can see the net, then do a firmware upgrade that way. (Optionally you can use CLI commands if you're into that).

To turn the ethernet port on with the ONT you need to call Verizon CS so they an turn it on there. Just remember that the boxes need the coax for the on screen guide.

If you have set tops you need coax and their router to use their GUI IIRC.

As to why you can't see the gateway, did you adopt it and set it up prior to doing all this with extra gear? When I first got my gateway it was a total bitch to setup because it needed the internet AND needed a firmware update because it was really out of date out of the box. From what I'm to understand if the hardware is too out of date the controller software won't see it.

What I would do is hook your original gear back up so you have net from the FiOS router, hook the WAN on the USG up to port one of the FiOS router, hook your PC up to LAN on the USG, get into the USG and make sure it can see the net, then do a firmware upgrade that way. (Optionally you can use CLI commands if you're into that).

To turn the ethernet port on with the ONT you need to call Verizon CS so they an turn it on there. Just remember that the boxes need the coax for the on screen guide.

Thanks PP Mguire! I'm glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with the initial setup :)

I'll try updating the firmware of the USG as you suggested. That's a great idea!

I'm not sure I'll be able to get ethernet from my ONT to the USG, due to how my house is laid out. I'm ok with using a MoCA adapter, but I strongly suspect the one I got [Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)] is not meant to do what I'm attempting in this setup.

I haven't been on FiOS/Frontier in a year now and never used the boxes. I think what you want to do though is not possible as I believe a router with coax input (or modem of some sort) is taking the signal from the ONT and translating to something your network can understand. The MoCA adapter is only taking a standard ethernet signal and tossing it over a coax wire. For instance I can take an ethernet cable from my switch, plug it up to that MoCA adapter, put that to a coax end in my house, put another MoCA adapter on the other end and plug an ethernet device up to that. I do not believe it is intended for coax input from the ONT and then plugging that into a router. To properly utilize the USG you will need to hook it directly up to your ONT via the ethernet port.

THe problem with that being is AFAIK the set top boxes are still relying on QAM which the coax is needed from the ONT. I heard something before I moved about a fully internet based setup so all functions will work over ethernet, and subsequently over the ethernet from the ONT alone. Since I never had set top boxes, I never will, and I'm only going off the info I got from my best friend having this issue before you'll have to take that up with Verizon as they would know better.

Thanks for the info! One other thought I had was to put the FIOS router into bridge-only mode (maybe not the correct technical term.) But essentially use the FIOS router as a modem and move the ‘router' functionality to the USG.

That would be an idea, but I suppose that all depends on the model and support of the passthrough function. I have to run this setup currently with AT&T because they're *******s.

Edit: Actually, that device you have may come in handy for me to use up this coax wasting space in my house.

Last edited:
Just a quick update - the adapter seems to not accept a connection from the main coaxial line from the ONT. Only seems to work internally (I.e. a coaxial line in the house like the one connected to a cable box)

Last edited:
Just a quick update - the adapter seems to not accept a connection from the main coaxial line from the ONT. Only seems to work internally (I.e. a coaxial line in the house like the one connected to a cable box)
If your internal coax is plugged into the router, that's why. Remember, the coax on the ONT is not outputting a signal like the ethernet port would.

On that note, I'm pretty pissed off at Ubiquiti right now and might start deviating to another brand.

If your internal coax is plugged into the router, that's why. Remember, the coax on the ONT is not outputting a signal like the ethernet port would.

On that note, I'm pretty pissed off at Ubiquiti right now and might start deviating to another brand.

Ok, so should the moca adapter work if it's taking coaxial straight from the ONT? Sorry not sure I'm picking up what you're saying hehe

Sorry to hear that. What happened if you don't mind me asking?

Ok, so should the moca adapter work if it's taking coaxial straight from the ONT? Sorry not sure I'm picking up what you're saying hehe

Sorry to hear that. What happened if you don't mind me asking?
It's like I explained in an above post. Those adapters are meant to take a network signal and translate it for sending over coax. It's not meant to take a QAM signal (or whatever Verizon uses as a translation from ONT to router).

So in other words it's meant to work like this:
Router ethernet port >>>> ethernet port to MoCA >>>> MoCA coax to wall
>>>> receiving wall coax to MoCA adapter >>>> network port on MoCA adapter to networked device (PC, switch, console, whatever)

Basically these devices are intended to turn your in wall coax into cable that can be used for your home network instead of running your own 5e/6 cable. A good RG6 cable that is quad shielded (or 95%) depending on the frequency used and interference in the environment could do 10Gb network speeds or more. So these devices are made to turn these cables into something a modern home can use that does not use cable TV or Dish.

Ubiquiti has had stock problems for over half a year now. They can't make up their damn mind what they want to do and there's also an internal battle between the main shareholders as well as an investigation. Every time a UBNT person on their forum says there's stock going out there's always either a delay or no distributer actually has stock. They also sent out a bad batch of 16 XGs that pissed people off. I'm also getting a bit pissed on some of their decisions on how to handle Unifi controller features.

Back
Top Bottom