Need Help..Code10 "Cannot Start"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphp

Beta member
I have a HP Pavilion xf328 Notebook. AMD 1800+, 30 GB Hd, 256 SDRAM, Built in 10/100 mps NIC running windows XP...
I purchased a Linksys WPC 54GS wireless adapter card. When I install the card, The card is found and it loads. At the end of loading it says "there was a problem". Device manager shows card with exclamation. Error is Code10 "Cannot Start"...I have talked with Linksys, they claim not there problem. Did a system restore using the HP System Restore.
The card will install in another HP notebook with no errors....
Any Clues????

Do you have the drivers for the card?Did you install the drivers via found new hardware wizard?or did you just let XP do it.If you have the drivers try installing them via device manger/update driver.

Thank Neo, Yes I have the drivers and have tried installing it via device manager, found new hardware, using the disk that came with it for windows 2000 and such. Linksys Techy tried several different installs prior to giving up and saying it wasn't there problem.....This has been the wierdest thing. this machine has never been a problem till This...I called HP but they want to charge a $35 fee which I fell is terrible since I bought there product.

Bought it at Office Depot, it is PCMCIA...We put the card in another HP notebook and it worked fine. Just my machine it has a problem with..Been fighting it for about 3 weeks now. Ordered a D-Link off ebay to see if it would install should be here in a week or so, Just not ready to give up...

Can you take the card back to Office Depot,just tell them that it is defective and try another one and see if you still have the problem.

Don't believe that is an option, plus the card works in another machine just fine. Like noted I do have a D-link on the way I will try.

Does your notebook have a second pcmcia slot? i have had these slots go bad before - they detect the card but die in use. if you do, try the other slot.

Only 1 slot available...I installed a modem card the other day to check the slot and it installed OK...After reading it seems as though it could be something in my BIOS not allowing the network card to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom