Need help choosing a router

cajuncowboy

Beta member
Hello all, I am new here and have a few questions.

I just moved into my own place and it is behind my parents house about 200'. I am trying to find a way to get wireless signal to my new place, well I have it but it isn't very strong.
The router is in front of a window directly in front of my place and I can catch it but latley its been a little weak on my phone and computer. SO I was looking for help to decide on a stronger router or if there is any other way to get better signal.
I would have to be able to handle 2 laptops at least 2 Iphones and my dish network box. What would you suggest I do? IF a new router is the answer which do you suggest or any other signal enhancer or repeater?

Thanks

Hello all, I am new here and have a few questions.

I just moved into my own place and it is behind my parents house about 200'. I am trying to find a way to get wireless signal to my new place, well I have it but it isn't very strong.
The router is in front of a window directly in front of my place and I can catch it but latley its been a little weak on my phone and computer. SO I was looking for help to decide on a stronger router or if there is any other way to get better signal.
I would have to be able to handle 2 laptops at least 2 Iphones and my dish network box. What would you suggest I do? IF a new router is the answer which do you suggest or any other signal enhancer or repeater?

Thanks

You can adjust your wireless adapter settings accordingly. You will never connect your iphone to it, unsure about the network box.

The only other solution is to run a cat5 over to your apartment/house and stick a router on the end of it.

200 feet is a little to long of a run for either cable to do what you want. Get an Engenius Access Device (about $80.00) and install it on the outside of your building facing the main house.

Put it in bridge mode, disable dhcp, setup the main wireless router in the house with the dhcp, and a password, now from the access point on your side, feed it to a wireless router, with password, and you can connect all your device's thru it.

Repeating the wireless would work fine. I had a Linksys with DD-WRT and bridged a weak signal with it.

200 feet is a little to long of a run for either cable to do what you want.

You should be able to run Cat5/6 over this length. For Cat5/6 Ethernet, the max distance is 100m (~330 feet).

So either option will work.

Back
Top Bottom