Need Device to monitor traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boma

In Runtime
I'm a sys admin for a small business and we don't have anything to monitor or control the traffic.

All we have is a RV082 Linksys Router, a Linux Samba File Server, and a Windows XP Server.

What do we need to view and control traffic as well as access rights? What is the proper device to use?

I see some Sonicwall boxes, but have no clue what to get.

There is Samba support possible in Windows Server, but I think it is only certain editions. I can check later. Certain services need to be added to communicate with Samba. As far as hardware, I think you are good with what you have I do believe.

Buy a Cisco firewall and run an IA computer. Thats how to control traffic VIA Contexts. Etc.

Otherwise...Packet sniffers?

Net guardians? Wan Scalers?

All meant for monitoring and transmission control. It really depends on what you want down to the specifics

Deep packet inspection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) is the act of any IP network equipment which is not an endpoint of a communication using any field other than the layer 3 destination IP address for any purpose. This is performed as the packet passes an inspection point, searching for protocol non-compliance, viruses, spam, intrusions or predefined criteria to decide what actions to take on the packet, including collecting statistical information. This is in contrast to shallow packet inspection (usually called Stateful Packet Inspection) which just checks the header portion of a packet.[1]

Deep Packet Inspection (and filtering) enables advanced security functions as well as internet data mining, eavesdropping, and censorship. Advocates of net neutrality fear that DPI technology will be used to reduce the openness of the Internet. DPI is currently being used by the enterprise, service providers and governments in a wide range of applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom