need to configure ports...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan1121

Daemon Poster
Well i wasn't the one to set up our network, my dad did. So now i need to configure ports and i don't have the username and password. Ive tried the defaults for my router(a motorolla wr850g) and my dads usual ones, none of which worked. Is there any way to maually reset the router so i can enter a new username and password.

Yes, just about all routers have a reset button on the back, which will reset back to factory default....

BE WARNED - This will clear out the WHOLE config. I would NOT advise reseting to factory defaults... Ask your father for the username password, or to at least log you in... If he won't give you the info, reseting would obviously not be a good idea. If you reset it without certain info, like the username / password for the internet account, you won't be able to re-connect to the internet until you get that info.

Additionally, you will have to re-config the wireless portion if you have and use a wireless router.

I would save yourself the trouble of re-configuring the router, and possibly getting in trouble for doing so, and tell your father what you are trying to do, and have him log you in so you can open the ports.

ive already asked him, he dons't know the password, nor if it's written down somewhere, i wouldn't do something like that without aking him. I guess ill keep looking for it or asking, i think it was a pretty painful process to set up the network. But if i have to i think i can get the network set up again. Would i be able to re set up everything just as if it was a new router?

wow that was such bad spelling i don't even want to re write it...

lol... sorry, I was under the impression that you were trying to 'fly under the radar'.... If your father is cool with it, yeah, you can reset the router without worrying about getting in trouble. I actually have to do the same thing, cause for some reason, I can't for the life of me remember my routers password... lol.

Before you go an reset it though, make sure if you don't have your internet account username & password that you call the ISP and get that info, so you can get up and running as quickly as possible. Also, on your computer, open a command window, and perform an IPCONFIG /ALL to get your IP address. If it is 192.168.0.100 or 192.168.1.100 with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask, then the DHCP setting is at its default. Otherwise, write down the default gateway, and IP address on your computer, if you want to have the same network addresses.

Also, if you DON'T have the user manual for the router, I would recommend visiting the manufacturer's website and download the manual to your PC BEFORE reseting the router. Always handy to have it around for reference.

AH, well i called motorola and it turns out that my reset button only resets the username and password! so now im all set, thanks for the help guys.

Hrm, sweet deal. Glad that you were able to get that resolved... It is unusual that it only resets the username & password... lol, it sort of defeats the whole purpose of putting the username / password on the router..
:cool:

well it's working, hwoever i can't get to change/configure my ports. The login name is correct, but neither IE or firefox can get to the ports tab

That is odd. What is happening when you try to get there? Does it just hang at the screen and say loading, or does it throw some kind of error?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom