n00b connection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I was using Cox cable internet service w/ a modem I purchased from Cox. I recently moved into a house with Roadrunner internet access and tried to run the cable into my modem purchased from Cox, but I can't get any internet access. I go to "Control Panel"--->"Network Connections"--->"Repair Connection" and it says the repair completed and all is well. But then I go to Internet Explorer and get the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message. Can anyone help here? Can the modems purchased from Cox not be used w/ other providers or something?

some of that stuff is proprietary, and normally when that happens with my home network connection it says i can't share internet connections because it creates a static IP not a DHCP IP so that could be your problem

The reason is you can't just go around using any Cable modem you want. The cable modem MAC ID must be in the cable company database. Call them up and tell them you want to use this modem and provide them with the MAC ID(usually located on the back of the modem). Usually they want you to buy a modem from them so you can pay more and the modem they provide is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom