N router, N adapter, 54mbps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landorf

Baseband Member
So i just a new laptop with a a/b/g/n wireless card to compliment my netgear N router and it won't go past 54mbps for connection speed. Although when I plug in directly I can get 1gbps. Is there anything I need to or can do to ramp up my wireless speed?

so i found it it might be a driver problem, but before I lookg into that I discovered that the Intel 4965 N adapter cannot achieve speeds of over 54mbps on a secured connection, so I either need to remove network security or downgrade it to AES, heres a quote from the driver page

Intel recommends using security with your wireless network. The Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN adapter can only achieve transfer rates greater than 54 Mbps on 802.11n connections when using AES security, or no security. You should only use no security when setting up or troubleshooting the network.

802.11n isn't going to provide the same speed and performance as wired gigabit networking. It's simply not capable. Real-life speeds are generally not as high as theoretical speeds. Are you using a matched pair of adapter and router? Mixing brands negates any performance increase. The adapter also needs to be pretty close to the router to achieve the greatest performance.

yea Wireless adapter range an speeds are normaly in ideal conditions an not to mention the fact that N is still in draft I own a Belkin Wireless N router an the speed is great but I was after a better quality signal in part of my house an N draft gave me it.

Figured it out: the problem was that the internal adapter was able to go up to 300mbps, but only if the network was AES or not secure at all. Not wanting to go with no security simply for faster speeds, I tried AES and it failed a bunch. did some browsing and found out that I didn't have WPA2 on my laptop yet (2 days old) so I downloaded the driver, reset the network to AES and then my computer finally recognized the network because apparently the router setting wasn't just was AES, it was a WPA2 AES. Hooray updates! Now I've jumped from the cap 54mbps to 144-150mbps, and I couldn't be happier. thanks for checking out my problem though guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom