Mybook problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a WD mybook 500GB World Edition.

I've managed to name the device, via the browser GUI, assigned it a static IP, set up shared folders and users and I can see the mybook on my LAN, plus I can map folders from the mybook in My Computer.

However, I'm having problems with remote sharing with my friends. I've signed up to Mionet, and sent invites via email to some friends to start sharing my folders created in mybook device for instance, the PUBLIC folder.

Now, they can access some files, like images and software, but they cannot see music (mp3) or video (avi) files I place in the folder...according to WD, music/video files are prohibited due to copyright infringements.

What I want to know is, is there a workaround for this? Is there an easier way to remotely share files like music or any file in general with friends without having to use the infernal Mionet software?

Thanks all.

No there is no workaround for this. It is limited y the MyBook software cause it is illegal to share things like that. As it states. There is no way to get around it. Sorru.

No there is no workaround for this. It is limited y the MyBook software cause it is illegal to share things like that. As it states. There is no way to get around it. Sorru.

So why the heck does the packaging for the MB state that you can "share music and video files"? Does it really mean only to be shared locally, on a LAN?

Also, is there an easier way of remotely sharing files, regardless of the contents, instead of using Mionet?

Cheers.

Yes they mean via a LAN. As it is a Network attached storage device. It is not a file server.

The only other way would be to do something like gotomypc.com or using VNC. there is no real way to share files unless you upload them for your fruends to download.

Yes they mean via a LAN. As it is a Network attached storage device. It is not a file server.

The only other way would be to do something like gotomypc.com or using VNC. there is no real way to share files unless you upload them for your fruends to download.

Hmm, I might look into gotomypc.com, thanks for the help.

Last question, when I want to share files from mybook, with friends, do I always have to put the files in the PUBLIC folder?

Yes. If not then they will not be viewed as they will not have access to the other files/folders.

Yes. If not then they will not be viewed as they will not have access to the other files/folders.

I tried accessing the folders remotely today, and I could see, play and transfer audio files remotely from the PUBLIC folder, this is strange because I thought WD prohibited audio files?

My thinking is because I'm the owner of the mybook device, is that the reason why I can remotely access and see mp3 files?

Yes. You are connecting thru the LAN so you can see it since all those people a part of the LAN have full access. But connecting to it remotely you do not.

At least from my understanding of how these network attached storage decies work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom