My pc is slowing down my internet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkaiser5000

Beta member
Hi. I have a 3 mbps DSL connection but no matter where I go to run a speed test it always says about 1.5 mbps.

Anyway, a tech guy came out today and changed my modem-router. He also connected his laptop to it along with my PC. I ran a speedtest on their official speedtest website and got about 1490 mbps. He ran it on his laptop and got well over 2300 mbps.

He said that that's about right for a 3 mbps connection and he's never really seen anyone get more than that but.... for some reason I can't get that much on my PC.

We came down to this after he checked the line under my house and had my isp run several data transfer test on the line. Everything came out positive.

We even tried an older and newest version of Internet Explorer and Firefox but got the same results on this computer.

Also, I just reformatted it with Win XP Pro SP2 yesterday.

I've got an old Gateway computer (tower). Specs are:

Windows XP Pro v2002 (Service Pack 2)
Intel Celeron Processor 2.2 ghz
248 mb ram
no video card

There's no doubt that something about it is screwing up my connection speed. But what could it be????

Not sure how it would effect the internet, but that about of Ram is BARE MINIMUM that XP will run on. If you hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, what does the memory usage show to be when doing this test... just curious, not sure if it woudl effect this speed.

Have you tried to upgrade the NIC drivers?

Do you have any other computers on this network?

Ethereal_Dragon said:
Not sure how it would effect the internet, but that about of Ram is BARE MINIMUM that XP will run on. If you hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, what does the memory usage show to be when doing this test... just curious, not sure if it woudl effect this speed.

Have you tried to upgrade the NIC drivers?

Do you have any other computers on this network?

During the test CPU Usage is always about 77 - 97%.

I'll try upgrading the NIC for my 3com ethernet card.

And there are no other computers on this network.

wow, that is pretty high usage for running an internet bandwidth test... what applications do you have running in the background that are utilizing CPU power ( you can see that in the processes tab, there is a column for CPU and then double digits, representing % of CPU being used by that process).

The utilization stat I was wondering about was for the system memory, it is below the CPU useage graph in the performance tab.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
wow, that is pretty high usage for running an internet bandwidth test... what applications do you have running in the background that are utilizing CPU power ( you can see that in the processes tab, there is a column for CPU and then double digits, representing % of CPU being used by that process).

The utilization stat I was wondering about was for the system memory, it is below the CPU useage graph in the performance tab.

I have absolutely nothing running in the background while doing these test.

Do you mean the PF usage? When starting the test it always starts at about 146 and climbs til the test is over. When the test is over it's usually about 166.

screenhunter001eh5.gif

screenhunter002wk6.gif

With NOTHING running in the background, I would say you likely have a virus or some type of spyware/adware running on that PC.

Go to the processes tab, and click on the CPU column until you get numbers at the top other than '00' and then take another screen shot.

Also, do a virus scan, and spyware/adware scan on that computer.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
With NOTHING running in the background, I would say you likely have a virus or some type of spyware/adware running on that PC.

Go to the processes tab, and click on the CPU column until you get numbers at the top other than '00' and then take another screen shot.

Also, do a virus scan, and spyware/adware scan on that computer.

Well, this version of XP Pro isn't authentic. I actually downloaded it from somewhere, burned it to a disk, and installed it.

I scan reguarly everyday with AVG anti-virus.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/636/screenhunter001ja9.gif

first off, an anti-virus scan rarely picks up ALL viruses
second, it's probably not a virus, it might be malware, or adware
check the startup items to see if something is starting up in the background (start>run>"msconfig"[enter], click the startup tab, and post a screen(s) of that for us to see)

we'll see from there if you need to get into the reg or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom