My friend and I want to directly connect our computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
We both have XP Home (yeah, yeah, I know :rolleyes: ) and we want to be able to directly connect our computers over a WAN or whatever needed. We will be running through our internet connections and directly connecting to each others computers to send files and data back and forth. Can this be done with a special program (that we can download) since we are both using Home edition, which has practically nothing for networking capabilities?

Directly connected? I don't think it could be done over the internet because it still requires a middleman which is your ISP and your buddy ISP. Why don't you just use FTP server and share files. I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do.

I'm also confused by your description.

You can buy an internet router, plug the internet cable and both computers into the router, and share files like that.

I think they are geographically isolated, so by any means they can only share files through the internet. There are things like virtual private network but it still requires a middleman like an ISP. Works like a small home office that wants to connect to the company network through the internet with tough security enhancement.

You can pay for these kind of stuff but will cost you rather more, there is no point in doing so unless you want security at it's best. I would rather you use something like FTP to share files across the internet, but you won't be directly connected as you describe...

I guess "direct connection" isn't an accurate discription. We have found a beta program called Hamachi which creates a VLAN and gives a new IP address. So far we have connected and he can view my shared documents, but I can't view his for some reason. We are still working with it. Has anyone else worked with Hamachi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom