My ethernet connected pc is faster than my wireless PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't want to run cable, sure you could try that.
But, it's tough (borderline impossible) for us to give you a 100% green light and say... Yea, it'll work. Sure, they work great in most situations but we have no idea about your electricity in your house. If it's a newer house and you haven't had electrical repair work done ... sure, it'll probably work.

Reason I bring this up is because I live in a house built in the 20s and currently am having the electric worked on. Right now there is one room that electricity isn't in any way connected to the same box as the lines in the living room downstairs. If I wanted to use that from my office where my cable comes in to the living room where my Wii is (for instance) ... it wouldn't work.

Best bet for you is to make sure that you can get it and try it with a backup plan in place. Make sure that you can return whatever you buy for a full refund. Don't shell out $150 on hardware that you are sure is going to work. Have someone make sure it'll work for you.

In general though, yea, those do work great.

Yea my house was built in 85 so I'd say that it's fairly new.
Also I could always return it if I don't like it.

Which powerline would you guys recommend?

Devolos, they're German and they are the brand when it comes to homeplugs and powerline adapters.

Wired connections are always faster than wireless connections. They'll never be equal.

This is the best way its been put here. I suggest doing some reading about how wireless actually works versus wired ethernet. Cables will always provide better throughput then wireless, especially since walls and floors have a lovely habit of weakening a signal :)

<Add-on> This is just a constructive suggestion. I may be Dr. House, but I am being nice ;-) </Add-On>

I have not actually heard what speeds can be achieved with Ethernet over power lines, but I would look at their specs to see what they say. The power lines are not twisted pair wires, so it is unclear to me how fast data transmission can actually be without issues of crosstalk, etc.

One other thing to conisder: depending upon how your switch box is set up, you may not be able to connect to your brother's room if it is on a different circuit than the one that you are on.

But, as you said, if you are able to try it and still return the device if it does not work satisfactorily, there is little to lose.

Well some powerline adapters can be 14mbs all the way up to 400mbs, but yes without twists you may see some noise and disruptions over your network although i've seen nothing on mine :)

Yea, the average is around 200MB or so. Crosstalk is not the same considering the cabling... you really can't throw in crosstalk because it doesn't exist in the same fashion as does in CAT 3 through 6. You are also going to be able to connect with a longer distance in-between... perhaps up to 800-900 ft. I haven't tested that far though, but it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom