Multiple Security Settings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techie23

Baseband Member
We have a network of about 200 some odd computers and we just found a solution to a big problem we have been having we need to change the security settings on a few choice items in the registry. Is there anyway to do this all at once or do I have to go through all the computers one by one and change these. I could not think of a way to do this off the top of my head I was just wondering if anybody here knew how if not I'm In for a long haul clickfest!

You can do a couple things....
1) You can use the Remote registry service (as long as all PCs are running this service) Then just create a resistry file and make the canges. This is the easiest way to do it.....from one PC too! I've done this before on 150-250 PCs and, yea it took me the greater part of a day.....but this was a required fix. And I just administered the fix from my house!!!!.

2) You can create a .reg file from one of the PCs that you fix it on. Then, copy this reg file to a shared folder on a server or another PC that is accessable from every other PC. Then you just goto each PC and find the file and just open it.
You can make muliple registry fixes into on .reg file too. So, this one file could fix a bunch of registry entries.

-Mike

Yhea i think I tried that but will it change the security settings! What i need to change is not a regular registry setting but the security of the user using the registy setting.

Will this change the security applied to the setting.

I can remotely access all computers from here and change these settings there is jsut about 6 of them to do on each of 200 computers!

Are you just talking about a string value change under H_KEY_CURRENT_USER as opposed to H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE?

-Mike

No you have to highlght the folder for the program that contains all strings for that program and goto the top click security and change the setting so that the users can properly use the software. If it was just a regular reg setting it would be easy but unfortunatly its a littel more complicated I tried your method just a few minutes ago and it did change the settings but teh security stayed the same.

All are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on each local computer on the network!

Thanks for you help but I think Im jsut screwed on this one I have plenty of time to do it its not a time sensative thing its jsut gonna be realy annoying!

Yea.....I think you're right on this one. Unless you can't write a little batch file or something that would change this. But this security settings seems very proprietary so I doubt you'll be able to do that....sorry bout that....Good Luck!

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom