Multiple Programs Working Off Of One User Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCOA CEO

Beta member
Hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place, I couldn't figure out if the Linux board would be better.

I'm trying to make my Forum (phpnuke 7.9), wiki (Mediawiki 1.11.0), and Blog (wordpress, I don't have the version written down), work off of one user DB, but I'll explain my intended goal, since I'm most likely trying to achieve this the wrong way. (I'll also add, I'm savvy with tech, but I have no degree or "expert" knowledge overall, I work on a website with no assistance, most of my members aren't tech savvy, so it's a one man show to work with).

I'm tired of, and I know my members must not enjoy, having to login at different areas to use them, instead of logging in once and roaming around from forum, blog, wiki, etc. While being logged in, in each one with no need to log in at each division. :freak:

How would I make one login somewhere (or just one main page to do it if needed), "register" to other applications. Wether the wiki can do this or not I don't know, I believe it runs off of a cookie system to know wether or not your even logged in.

Anyway, any advice or knowledge is appreciated, I'm totally in the dark on this. :D

My advice would be to look for a system that utilizes a single signon. I realize that this means you will lose your existing user accounts and more than likely all your content. But, its something to consider.

Otherwise you'll have to re-code 2 of the 3 (or all 3) applications to use the userbase from whichever you choose. That can really be a pain depending on how each application handles its user accounts and session data.

You will certainly learn a lot by re-coding. And not necessarily in that fun way, either. However, in the long run changing applications to something that works together out of the box will be a much less painful route. Sure, there will be a short period where everything is a hastle, but in the long run supporting it will be much easier.

I experimented some, I was able to take two blogs and merge them (user wise), but they use a prefix system beyond what I've worked with, so user accounts were deleted.

Deleted accounts wont bother me much. The wiki coding is going to be the worst, although I do know which file the DB runs off of from the day I updated from 1.9.6 to 1.11.0 (also learned alot about upgrading php and mysql, fun times...) I'll have to make another experiment with a full server HD copy, see what I can do.

PHP Nuke I'm hoping will be at the very least, forgiving, as upgrading with BBtoNuke took me some time to figure out. Only been working with this linux server since July, the major time spent was during December.

Well, off I go to try this out, thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom