Multiple Internet access from Windows PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

betacyg

Beta member
I have a PC running Win XP which can access the Internet via both a dialup modem and a wireless connection (to cable modem server). The dialup is mainly used for business connection directly to other computers, but also occasionally for Internet connection for security or wireless availability reasons.

Some Internet apps have problems with this; Internet Explorer in particular will always try to initiate the dialup connection, even when the wireless connection is already present. If dialup is denied, it will (after hesitation) use the wireless link. Mozilla has much less problem with this, usually finding the wireless connection in a flash.

Is there any way to overcome this problem, i.e. to have the wireless connection be considered the default one (whenever it is present)?

Thanks (in advance) for any ideas...

Did you already try this: Internet Options > Connections > (Highlight which one you want as a defualt) > Set Defualt > Ok.

I will admit to being somewhat confused by this, as Internet Options (the Win control panel item) does not show the wireless connection, nor does there seem to be a way to specifically add a wireless connection to that list (dialup and lan are covered by the menu system). I know that IE uses the settings from the Internet Options menu, while other apps may make their own connections, so had thought that this might be related to the problem (although it doesn't explain the Microsoft-like glitch that IE will use the wireless connection eventually if I keep it from making a dialup one...

(running Win XP sp2, IE 6)

internet options > connection > never dial a connection
should stop the dialog box appearing asking you to connect

internet options > connection > never dial a connection
should stop the dialog box appearing asking you to connect

Oddly enough, that is something I reset (to "never") early on, and was a bit surprised to find that all apps (including IE) would still dialup if the wireless connection wasn't present. That surprised me, 'cause from many years ago I recalled that th seemed that you had to give dialup permission there for most any apps to connect that way from a Windows machine...

Seem to have solved the problem myself by resorting to the old unload/reload the software trick. The wireless card is an ASUS, matching the K8V motherboard in the PC; ASUS has its own wireless control software, which works in place of Windows' (and has many nicer features than XP provides); the problems probably had to do with that software getting along with IE and other Windows functions, but the reload seems to have put things into a better place.

Thanks for the responses and any thought anyone else gave the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom