multihoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano

Solid State Member
I have 2 computers.
1st: one has a wireless card and a wired card. It is connected to the internet through the wireless card.

2nd: has a wired card.

the two computers are connected together through a belking router(using 1st's wired card and second's wired card)...

How can i share internet to the second computer( with the wired card)...

whenever I enable the lan connection (wired card) on the 1st computer my internet stops working... i guess it doesnt know wut network card to use to connect to the internet...
please help...

thanks in advance

windows XP... he problem is that i dont know how to configure internet explorer to use a particular ip address for internet

i did this:

what you are trying to do is essentially correct however, there is and understanding issue of networking here,,, lets see if we can clear this up,,,

Mike is right on the NIC issues,,

First,, your ISP will provide you with only ONE external IP address unless you PAY for more,,,

So what you have done is called MULTI-HOMING a PC = 2 NICS

the FIRST NIC will get the EXTERNAL IP from the ISP provider,, that is your 218.x.x.x number that you spoke about,,

on the SECOND NIC,, YOU give it a PRIVATE IP (usually 192.168.1.x and so on...)

You put the IP on the SECOND NIC,, and the SUBNET MASK,, (255.255.0.0) and then LEAVE the GATEWAY BLANK,, this NIC will look to your FIRST NIC as the gateway to the world,,

Now, get a HUB,,and connect that to the second NIC,, now every PC that you plug into the hub must have a NIC,,

Make STATIC IP addresses for every PC,, BUT keep them in the same neighbourhood,,

First NIC IP = ISP provider

Second NIC IP = 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask = 255.255.0.0 gateway=BLANK

connect hub to SECOND NIC,, then attach PC,,

1st PC NIC= 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask = 255.255.0.0 gateway=192.168.1.1

2nd PC NIC= 192.168.1.3 subnet mask=255.255.0.0 gateway=192.168.1.1

BUT i cant get internet on my second PC. even though i can ping the nic on the first PC.

did the router come with your isp provider? is there a modem? your isp cant tell if you have 3 or more computers on your network....it should be like this wall---modem---router--wired pc
--wireless

yes i have a modem that is connected to the first router. My 1st pc i connected through wireless to the first router. I have a second computer that is connected to my first computer through a router(2nd router).

dont use the second router...connect it to the first

why do you have 2 routers, unless it has only 2 ports

ok forget about the two routers.
The problem is:

1st computer has internet through a wireless card. It also has a second wired NIC.
I want to get internet on my second comp wich has also a wired card through NIC on the first computer. In between them there gott be a router.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom