multi wireless connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroudt

In Runtime
Hey all,

Lately I've been traveling alot for work, stay in hotels. Last hotel I was in had 2 wireless routers, and the one I'm in now has 6. What I was wondering, is there any possible way to connect to more then one router at a time? You know, to boast my signal. maybe get a second wireless card for my PC? Oh, and incase your wondering, I have been lugging my desktop around with me. I bring it so that I can game in the evenings when I'm not at work, I don't want to bring the laptop with me.

I'm sure I know the answer to this question....."NO".....but you never know and it doesn't hurt to ask.

thanks

Typically, hotels will house more than 1 wireless access point for a couple of different reasons:

1) Guest and Staff networks (different SSIDs, different network segments)

2) Guest network with multiple access points for coverage issues (Same SSIDs, simply for mobility concerns)

3) Guest pay network vs Guest free network (perhaps in Lobbv area). Different SSIDs and coverage intentions. Connecting to multiple access point with multiple wireless adapters, will give you different results depending on what they are used for. Your best bet is to simply connect to the one that provides the strongest signal or perhaps after a little detective work, provides the fastest connection.

In short, no, you will not be able to use 2 at once. You can connect to multiple at one time, sure, but you will have to designate which software piece is using which connection. Sadly, A browser really wont work the way that you are thinking. One request has to be answered to the same connection that the request was made from. So, if you are loading a page from wireless access point A, the result will be sent to the same network that A is on. You wont be able to get a result back from B when the request was never made from that segment.

Hope that makes a little sense.

Also with in the hotel some of the guests are able to hook up there own wireless routers. Some may not be secure and could be disguising as a wireless signal provided by the hotel, for hackers to interact with your hdd. AND no, though you may have a hook up for Ethernet in the room you still wouldn't be able to do both wifi and wired in the same unit. A portion of the card will dominate and choose the better of the two, possibly a alternating of which to use.

Wether or not you would be able to connect to more than 1 access point at the same time, it wouldn't matter at all. Not matter WHICH way you slice it, the hotel's connection to the ISP is very likely going to be the slowest link. This is based on a hypothesis that the hotel is using bottom tier ISP service, or at least prioritizing the guest internet traffic to use a portion of their internet link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom