MTU change? causing problems...WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyham_g

Beta member
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to figure out how to change my NAT type to open on two xbox 360's coming from the same modem. I used port forwarding to open one, but i realized that you can't do two because they require the same ports. I found a post online (I cant play online with 2 xbox 360 why? [Solved] | Kioskea.net) and he said to turn off port forwarding, then turn on port triggering and turn on upnp (which was already on) and change the MTU size. I turned off port forwarding, but got kind of lost because i was missing information my modem required for port triggering, so i went and changed the MTU size. The router started restarting randomly and continuously until I could change the MTU back to 0 (default) before it happened again. I have an apple air port express in my room and right now that wireless network comes up, and I have internet, but the actual wifi from the modem does not. It's very weird, and I kind of want to reset my modem because one xbox does not have xbox live at all.

I would really appreciate as much help as you can give! My room mates are worried I dinked the modem...

And when I say modem, I think I mean modem, the cable goes into it and ethernet cables come out and it has WIFI, which only confuses me because at my parents house we have the modem which has to connect to a wireless router which does the same thing as this.

THANK YOU!!

when you changed the MTU size, what did you change it too? Also write down any information you have concerning your connection like a username and password for your internet that you had to enter into the modem so you can get back online when you restart the modem if it does drop everything and revert to default settings.

I'm not sure why changing the MTU size would cause your router to continually restart itself, and I also don't know why you have to change the MTU size. It doesn't make sense to me, so leave that as default. You could also try and set it to 1500 which is the maximum for ethernet, I'm sure setting it as 0 just automatically sets it at 1500 because it's the max, but might as well put it in manually if you know it.

The key to this working is port triggering. How NAT works is you've got your private IP addresses and when you transmit your xbl packet to the router the router slaps the public IP you've got assigned to you as the source so when the transmission comes back it knows where to go. By having 2 devices using the same ports it makes it a bit tricky so by enabling port triggering it knows which IP address to send the incoming packet to.

Yes you are connected to a modem, it's an 'all-in-one' type unit modem/switch/wireless router.

What's your modem? I'll see if I can pull up how to enable port triggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom