MTP protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

King X13

Daemon Poster
On my network i have Mass storage devices disabled through the registry because people were bringing in there MP3 players and PSPs and filling up my servers with there music.

But now i see a few users using devices which use MTP and these devices do not come up as mass storage i have read and through seeing that my blocks do not disable them.

Anyone know how i can disable these devices or at least point me at its registry locations? thanks guys.

Start>run>Services.msc

Look for the service:

portable device enumerator service

Description: Enforces Group Policy for removable mass-storage devices. Enables applicaitons such as WMP and Image Import Wizard to transfer and sync content using removable mass-storage devices.

That should stop them. But if i am not mistaken that will also stop USB Thumb drives.

If you uninstall WMP10 or higher and delete the files you will remove the MTP drivers.

i thought about that for about .1 seconds lol as i have 800 systems on my network.

As for Makaveli213, ill give this a shot but from what i read it doesnt get labeled a "mass storage device" so anything that would normally disable mass storage doesnt work for MTP devices.

From what i gathered in my searches for answers. Most MTP Devices are recognized as a USB device. Maybe not Mass Storage but a USB Device. So check int he Services are as well for a way to disable them. If you wish.

the keyboard and mouse to these systems are USB, do you think doing that would kill them also?

Not sure. I have not tested it on my system at all as i dont want to have that stuff disabled. So it might be better to try GPO first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom