MSIE v6.0 freezes in linking websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

leecherous

Baseband Member
I have a 533 MHZ Pentium III, 40GB HDD, 384MB RAM, Windows XP Pro Computer using IE v6 (SP2) and Outlook Express. I use Surewest's Phone Line DSL access through a Router which is not shared by any other PC. My PC is clean, defragged, and free from viruses and spyware (using Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpyBot S&D v1.3, SpywareBlaster etc.) Norton Antivirus 2004 and Norton Internet Security are installed and updated. I have difficulty, once logged into a website, linking to other websites from the original website ... e.g. Accessing a Real Estate Website, I usually link to other affiliate sites. About the 2nd or 3rd link, IE freezes up. I cannot access any other site nor can I perform any functions or utilities using Windows. If I wait 3 to 10 minutes, the freeze clears up, and I can continue with the normal linking routine. If I proceed to link further into other websites, freezing usually occurs as a result. I have run, through a friend's suggestion, Windows Utility, "SFC /scannow" System File Checker, but that did not help matters. I can always access any website's home page once the freeze clears up. This freezing problem will erupt while accessing any website after the 1st or 2nd link within the website. I must add that this problem occurred prior to SP2's installation. I formally had SP1 installed, and the results were the same. I have not tried uninstalling IE v6 and reinstalling it in fear of losing all of my "Favorites" and possibly clearing out OE folders, Inbox, address book, etc. What can I do to resolve this annoying problem?

try deleting temp inet files, OS temp files, cookies. I think windows has a sytem cleanup utility that'll automate the process for you, check programs|accessories|system utilities

I've already completed all of the above ... csameuls. None of those cleanup utilities have helped resolve the problem.

My thanks to all concerned about my IE freezing up problems. I have decided to format my HDD and reinstall Windows XP (HE) in addition to the SP2 CD which I've already received from Microsoft.
I've grown weary of trial and error methods and I don't want to attempt "Firefox" or "Opera" at this time . . . Too many incompatibilities exist with those two, especially when the majority out there use (unfortunately) Bill Gate's products.

Again, thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom