Motorola 850G Router. Issues. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I've got this router, a motorola 850g. There's a few things I want to do with it.

-Enable MAC filtering.
-Forward a certain port for gnump3d to work.
-Change the username and password.

No matter what I do, if I make ANY changes to the router, the router locks out any connections. Nothing works. I upgraded to the newest firmware, still nothing works. The only way it'll work is if I reset it 40 times, reset the modem, reboot the computers, and SOMEHOW I always get one combination where it magically works with default settings when the computer boots up, yet every time it's something different. Sometimes I have to unplug the modem and that's it, other times I have to unplug everything, reboot, let it sit for 30 minutes, and plug everything in.

What in the world can I do? I'm considering on getting a **** Linksys and throwing this in the garbage.

All right, I'm just considering on going to wal mart and seeing what their cheapest router is. I've just had enough with this router... I can't do anything with it, it just won't work unless it's default settings. Plus I max out at like 10kb/sec transfer rates on torrents, even if I have dozens of seeders and no leechers.

Tell me about 10/100/1000. I know that they're the speeds, but would I benefit from them? I have onboard LAN, which supports 10/100/1000, so would my best bet be to get a router that's 10/100/1000, or would a 10/100 be just as good?

edit - Would the speedbooster here make a significant difference?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2470125
vs
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3910279

have you messed with your wireless channels i had a horrible connection that kept reseting until i messed with a couple of the channels until i found 5 i have an 80% signal over 48% now and no resets.

i had the exact same problem as you every thing you just posted the constant unplugging the router and your router locks you out and you cannot reconnect until you go and reset the router.

Why would wireless channels matter? Everything is hard wired. I'm not even using the wireless feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom