a more structured router? dd-wrt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
When I was at the hotels / airports this holiday break, I noticed that whenever you connect to the internet; you are redirected to this page to put your name and information before you could proceed further on. I want to do this in my dorm network router. I know not many people can afford a wireless router in college so I want to provide them with internet access with my router. I made my router public one day and over 25 clients connected and slowed my torrents down by a good margin.

Basically my main goal right now is to create a redirection whenever someone connects to my wireless network that asks for name and some other info I ask and agreement that they won't use my connection for p2p bandwidth. Next I want to implement a system that detects p2p bandwidth or limits a person's bandwidth per day or some sort. I want to provide internet connection for people to use in games, websites but not p2p traffic.

I have a Linksys WRT610N router using a 30/10mb connection. I'm planning on upgrading to the DD-WRT linux firmware. What are some keywords to research in order to do what I want here?

thanks in advance.

You may want to check with your network administrator to make sure that they will allow that in the first place, I am sure that they will be ok with it as long as you don't charge for it...

well the dorms are separate from the network administration. I get connection directly from Time Warner and is no way connected to the school network / nor network administrator.

First off, why would you share your connection.

you are paying for it. collage kids can afford cell phones .. they can afford internet and a router .. they would just perfer to spend their money on things that are not free.

As for sharing, if they torrent things .. you are held liable for anything they download.

If you really want to do this, find a extra computer (with 3 nics), install PFsense on it .. use it as your firewall

Nic 1, internet
Nic 2, your lan (use a WAP for your lan)
Nic 3 public wifi (use a second WAP)

Block access from nic 3 to 2

Setup pfsense traffic shaper to lower priority of P2P
Setup a max speed for all ips on nic3 's subnet (custom traffic que for all IPs in subnet 3)

So you can limit subnet 3 to 1mb in/out

Done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom