Monitoring internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoil44

Beta member
I'm a college student @ Pitt-Bradford.
We have a 1gb/24hr bandwidth limit here.
I have gone over that limit twice already.
If I go over again, I lose my internet for the rest of the season.

What I'm looking for is a way to limit my download amount per day, be it through a software package or something built into windows. I can't add a router with out going through **** from IST (they use MAC address filtering and some fancy hardware to ensure you don't try to spoof them.)

So you have multiple users on your network who use to much bandwidth and you want to find a way to limit them to a certain amount per computer?

Because at first when I was reading your post, it sounded like you wanted to limit yourself....which is odd..and I'm wondering why can't you just control yourself. :p

lol. I actually do want to limit myself. The campus bandwidth meter is updated for the rooms hourly, so I'm not always sure what my exact usage is. That, and I often let my compy run downloads while I'm at class, so I can't really monitor it.

The best way to do this would be to limit yourself from downloading files.... I would have to asume that you are downloading from P2P software. 1 Gig in 24 hours is alot of info to be downloading. If there is a limit, just space out your downloads so that you don't exceede the limit.

well, right now I'm trying to grab a few distros for some friends, and each one can run 700 mbs a pop.

Asside from self management, is there any way I can do this?

Talk to you IT people and find out what they use to monitor your bandwidth, they much have a way, since they are tracking it.

http://www.download.com/Bandwidth-Monitor-Pro/3000-2085_4-10533227.html?tag=lst-0-1

is one, try searching the download sites to look for monitors. Also, if you really are having trouble, there are two things you can do.
1) tell your roommate to not download so much, (if its on a per room basis)
2), if its on a per computer basis, get another network card, and switch the cord to the new one every once and a while. if they are using mac addresses to monitor bandwidth usage, the two network cards would have different mac addresses. (The IT department can't complain if you have two network ports. I have one integrated and one card. myself, Plus wirelss....)

the problem with swapping network cards is this:
There is a little piece of hardware, some kind of meter it would seem, built into the wall. This records the bandwidth sent specifically to that port. because people have tried to swap network cards on them before, if that port gets a second mac address attached to it in a specified length of time, the port closes indefinately and requires my begging IT to turn it on again.

wow,

Then basically the best thing you can do is watch your downloading. Have you looked at the bandwidth monitor I linked? I didn't download the trial, but you migth try the trial to see if that is something that would work for you.

The campus i'm on doesn't have any restrictions, can download 24/7 (45mbps internet), if we wanted to.

---EDIT ----

That would suck if someone got a new computer and had their internet shut off because the hardware didn't let them connect due to having a new computer.... (or if your friend wants to drop by with a laptop to do work or such....)

The security feature you are speaking of is likely 'Port Security' running on a 'Cisco like' managed switch in a wiring closet. Basically, with this config, if the port recives a different MAC address, it will go into Shutdown mode, requiring you to either manually open the port back up, or connecting the original MAC address back to it.

As far as the overage is concerned, self control would no doubt be the best way to keep yourself in check... Personally, if I had the same circumstances, I would have my friends download their own distro's, ESPECIALLY considering you already have 2 strikes against you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom