Modem/router to receive WiFi connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will only be able to receive a WiFi A and WiFi B signal. It will not receive a G or N signal. For that you would need a new router.

Great! I appreciate that! Okay then if I get an access point and hook it up to my hi gain antenna and then hook the ap to my router, can I network my house from the router with the internet connection?

What Internet connection? You still need some type of Internet Service Provider account to connect the whole infrastructure to.

To be able to use it as an access point, you are either going to need a wired connection to a router, or log into the wireless router and program the access point into it as one, and tell the access point to hit that router...

I am sharing a wireless connection with my neighbor, and want to network my house. The only way that I have figured out how to do this so far is to add an access point and then a router and then network to a wireless card.

So I would have my antenna to my access point and then into my wireless router and then out to the wireless card on the other computer. Is this correct, or is there a more simple way?

I only have the Linksys wireless router and a wireless card, so I was trying to figure out if I need to buy a access point.

Ok so my previous statement wasn't very clear. Anyways, check the router to make sure it can allow access points wirelessly. I don't know much about your router. Both the router and access point will need to support wireless G to get half decent speeds/bandwidth.

Now in the router you should look for something called wireless bridge mode, or wireless repeater mode, make sure you set the router as the main base, or the broadcasting station, you should then be able to program in the wireless mac address of the access point, that will let the access point see it. Now on the access points or wireless repeaters you will need to set an unused ip address and the main routers wireless mac address on it, that way it can communicate with the router. You should also setup any security one the access point that would be on the base station... I have a diagram that MAY help you, but this is mostly for netgear, but should be similar to the linksys... But it would be helpful if we had model numbers of the access point and router that you would be using...

But the most helpful thing would be for you to explain in better detail how this is setup, does your neighbor have the router, or do you, is it your router? because the access point will have to be in the other house opposite of the router.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6571/wirelessconfig.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom