Modem/ Router question

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
Hi all,

I have an Arris router/modem combo that has two networks, one that is 2.4ghz and one that is 5ghz. I am in the modem/router settings and it appears that I can disable one or the other. Also, I have an option for "band steering" on both networks.

Before I selected the band steering option, my devices that I'd hookup to wifi had two options. With the band steering on it appears I only have one option to connect to.

Do I want band steering on? Or should i disable it? If i disable it should I disable the 2.4ghz network that way all my devices hook up to 5ghz?

Thanks in advance.

It's really mainly up to you if you'd rather have 2 networks visible or only 1. It's mostly for getting rid of wifi congestion / clutter.

It will auto-detect if a connecting device is dual-band...and if so, it will block access to the 2.4GHz band, and direct it to the 5GHz band. 2.4GHz devices will obviously connect to the 2.4GHz band of the router.

So if you enable band steering, you'll have 1 SSID show up, but the router will determine what band the device connects to automatically.

The main reason you would want both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on and available is because there are devices out there that cannot connect to 5Ghz. If you choose to enable only one of them, stick with 2.4Ghz as it's more universally supported.

The main reason you would want both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz on and available is because there are devices out there that cannot connect to 5Ghz. If you choose to enable only one of them, stick with 2.4Ghz as it's more universally supported.

Band steering does keep both radios enabled, just broadcasts 1 SSID for both and directs the device to the correct band.

Band steering does keep both radios enabled, just broadcasts 1 SSID for both and directs the device to the correct band.

I have personally run into issues when setting up a network like this. The devices tend to still try to connect to the wrong SSID, so I've found that keeping the names different, even if only slightly, resolves that issue. Although, I've not used one with "band steering" yet, either.

I have personally run into issues when setting up a network like this. The devices tend to still try to connect to the wrong SSID, so I've found that keeping the names different, even if only slightly, resolves that issue. Although, I've not used one with "band steering" yet, either.

That's what I do when I have both SSID's being broadcast as well (usually I just add a "5" at the end of the 5GHz band one) - but band steering only broadcasts a single SSID and internally forces it to the appropriate band. How well it actually works is another question, but I understand the theory behind it.

Back
Top Bottom