Modem, Router, Phone Adapter--all dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwankan

Beta member
I hope I'm not repeating a thread. I searched but could not find anything on this. I have an issue that is coming up regularly, and although I have been able to identify the problem every time, I can't help but think there is something else behind it.
I have cable internet, a wireless router, and a telephone adapter. About once every month or two I have to replace either the modem, the router, or the adapter. Should I expect this short of a lifespan on these items, or could there possibly be some other type of problem causing these things to crap out on me. Most consistently, the modems die, and I have to go to my cable provider and get a new one. At first, I thought I was just getting crappy refurbs, but then the telephone adapter and the router went out a couple of times each, and I'm wondering if the problems is somewhere outside of all these devices.
Is there some particular way I need to wire, arrange, place my hardware and wires to keep this from happening. I know that occasionally if I disconnect everything for a few hours it will all connect back together and work, so I wonder if there is some kind of electronic pollution among all the wires that might be causing the problem.
Any suggestions?

Your not experiencing this on certain sockets, locations around your home?
Is there an unstable current in your supply that could be causing this?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

No, electromagnetic pollution wouldn't be causing these types of issues. Pollution is usually defined as one current effecting another, usually not resulting in a total failure, but lost of signal or incorrect signals.

Do you have all of these items plugged into a surge protector? If not, they should be. Current surges will definately fry those components, and as Tkey said it could be a particular socket. Use a surge protector and try another outlet.

They are all plugged into a surge protector, and the other devices plugged into it don't exhibit these problems (computer, monitor, lamp). I can't figure it out.
At first, like I said, the modem was going out at least once every two months. My internet service company has given me so many modems I've lost count. Right now, I cannot use my phone or my router, but for some reason the modem is working fine without them. It seems strange to me that two devices would go out at once.
I had this same problem before when I was doing dial up, and for a short time dsl connection. It would work fine for a while, then the connection would start getting weird, then eventually it would stop. That was in a different room with a different surge protector.
The same problem happened in my previous house. Either it's a coincidence, or I'm doing something I should not be doing. Could it be that since all the wires are in a jumble, that is causing a problem? Didn't you say that should not cause the devices to fail? I'm at my wit's end with this. I can't afford to keep replacing these things.

I'm going to pick up a new phone adapter and router, and I'll try a new surge protector and see if maybe that prevents it for a while.
I wonder if I were to buy my own cable modem, if it would last longer than the refurb models my provider is giving me. I only worry that it might not be compatible.

I would say that something is arye. While i'm not sure of the quality of their modems, in my experience under ideal (not perfect) conditions they should last between 2 - 4 years. You should keep a well documented log of when this happens. And every day check to see if it is working or not, and when it doesn't work the next day look at that evening as see what variables have changed, did it storm, was your friend on the computer, was the computer on all night, etc.

A new modem would DEFINATELY last longer - but if their modems are free i would continue using thiers.

When you say the connection stops - does it stop totally? Have you troubleshooted your Internet connection?

Not all surge protectors are equal. Get the best one you can find and see if that solves the problem. Frying devices on a monthly basis sure does sound like a surge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom