Modem Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy123

Beta member
Hi,
Can anyone help me with a problem i am having with my modem,it is an old ntl 100 silver one,about 5 years old ,tonight i can barely get 1 mb on my broadband,and i currently have a 10mb connection i looked at the lights on the front of the ntl modem, and the ethernet light is flashing constantly which i dont think it should do i am connected by the ethernet to my computer, the rest of the lights on the ntl modem are all on constantly ,apart from the usb light, is the modem causing the slow connection, is it faulty i am sure the ethernet light did not flash constantly the last time i looked ,can anyone who knows about this modem and what the lights should be lit like when the modem is working correctly.

Thanks in advance

Yes, it's a common problem know as "scamming". The modem isn't the problem here, its your ISP. They are advertising your broadband speed as "up to" 10meg. Yes you guessed right, that meens they can legally give you any speed they want "up to" 10meg, most of us dont get the speed we should be getting.

Cheers :) and welcome to Tech-Forums !

Thanks for your reply.

The Enet light has never flashed though, always been still. Now i cant get on my PS3 and Laptop at the same time.

By the way my modem is connected to a router.

May my router be the problem of the flashing Enet light?

How do you have this setup, what is connected where.

Ok, i have an old computer which i dont use. So to go on the internet with the old computer i used the modem, now as i dont use the computer the modem is connected to the router. I have an Enet cable going from the enet port on the back of the modem and the other end of it is going into the router port which says connection to modem. Then i just have an other Enet cable going into router and the other end into the Ps3.

My laptop being connected wireless, but now i have a spare Enet lead so i have had to put that into the laptop and the other end into router, because when i use wireless i always get kicked off ever since this flashing Enet light

Cheers again

Your router has a built in modem, you do not need another one in between the router and the PC.

As for the PS3 is your router configured to only allow connection for certain mac addresses?

Your router has a built in modem, you do not need another one in between the router and the PC.

As for the PS3 is your router configured to only allow connection for certain mac addresses?

My router is just a normal one which you plug into a socket. The router isnt plugged into a phoneline socket.

And do you know if your router is setup to only allow connections from certain mac addresses?

No, its not set up only to allow connections from certain mac addresses.

Everything has been fine, could get on both easily.

Until today i was just playing away then i got chucked off both the ps3 and laptop and i noticed the flashing ENET light

wait wait wait wait...... Tkey, PLEASE take note, that not ALL routers have an integrated modem. In fact, MOST SOHO routers do NOT have an integrated modem in them. There is just an RJ-45 WAN port that connects to the broadband modem.

Secondly. Andy, is the wireless portion of your network secured, or not? I would suspect that perhaps someone is leeching off of your wireless network, thus giving you the impression of reduced speed.

If you do NOT have wireless security enabled on the router, I would suggest that as the first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom