modem? modem? modem? more bonded channels faster?

Fat.Clown

I don't overclock
Ok, I was an early adopter and got a DOCIS 3.0 modem even when my ISP didn't support it yet. don't ask me why.

So I have the Motorola SB6121 with 4 downstream channels, will upgrading to the newer modems with 8 or 16 downstream channels improve response/speed?

Right now my current modem can max out my current internet tier (~50 Mbps). but I was thinking maybe more downstream channels will improve everyday usage speed or response time(ping)??
In my head i was thinking sequential speeds on SSDs is great and all, but 4K random read/write speeds is more important. maybe this logic applies to network traffic too?

we have around ~6 to ~11 devices on the network at any given time.

Right now my current modem can max out my current internet tier (~50 Mbps). but I was thinking maybe more downstream channels will improve everyday usage speed or response time(ping)??

It'll either make no difference at all, or a barely measurable and imperceptible difference. Wait to upgrade for when your ISP starts offering higher speeds.

Pretty much what Yami said. If your current modem maxes out at 100Mbps download, but you're only paying for 50Mbps download, then upgrading your modem to 500Mbps download isn't going to increase your speed much if at all. It's like using a fire hose on a garden spigot... you're only going to get what comes through from your service.

It all truly depends honestly... Friend of mine was on a 50Mbps plan, ISP for her area is DOCSIS3.0 compliant, but they are doing something funky with the channels. We noticed with the ISP supplied modem, even after they sent her a new one we couldn't get above 20Mbps, so I decided to test a SB6183 out with her connection. Sure enough, she got her full 50Mbps, and more-so, closer to about 63Mbps consistently. She also has fewer disconnects, though, I suspect they have serious line quality issues here.. Cable lines in KY suck penis glands.

But, if you are paying for 50Mbps, and getting 50Mbps rather consistently, then no, more channels wont help you any.

Back
Top Bottom