Modem hacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zammer

Solid State Member
ok, heres my situation, i have a dial-up modem, but due to my location i have bad signal tenuation leaving my bandwidth at 24K, thats bad, i cant play any games. besides, id like everything to be just faster, is there an registry cracks or something i can use to bring my modem on up to decent speed?

btw, some other usful infromation

Modem: intel 537EP

System Specs:

-Athlon 2600
-AOPen AK79-D Max
-256 MB RAM
-Radeon 9600se
-WinXP Pro sp1

the rest shouldnt be too important, thx for any help:)

Zammer said:
but due to my location

That tells me that you live out in the boonies somewhere. Unfortunately, I don't think that there is much that you can do. The problem is with the phone lines from the telephone company.

I was told once that someone tried this complaint witht the phone company, and it fixed some of their problems. They called the phone company up, and said that they were having problems sending and receiving faxes. They also told me something about phone lines not being guaranteed to carry data, but they were guaranteed for voice. Somehow, the fax machine comes under the voice guarantee.

I've never heard of anyone else trying it, so I don't know if I was being fed a line or not.

i was wondering if there would be a safe way bring up voltage, but ya, its not gonna get much faster :-/

Back when I was on dialup, I hacked the MTU window and got a little bit of a boost, check this page out and see if it works for you...

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/280/

Be aware though that if you ever go to an ethernet connection you have to hack the MTU settings again or your bandwidth will be in the toilet...

hey, thx for your help, ill have to try that and see. but it may notbe the problem, ill see anyways.

I would check into the phone lines running through your house to your computer. Sometimes the lines inside the house receive interference or are poorly connected. This might cause some trouble for your connection speed.

YOu could even try connecting a phone line to the box outside the house where the phone company's line ends and your's begins. This will help you determine if the problem is the outside lines or if it's inside your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom