modem dials but wont connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

icus

Beta member
I have a softk56 PCI Modem

FM-56K-PCI v:RWHS-C
552-5600-032

I am using the standard Conexant Drivers and the mode seems to be working fine.

I Can query the modem and I can Dial but the modem will not establish a connection, I have tried various ISP's and I get the same problem with them all. The Phone lines are alright as i can connect at full speed with my mates PC using LTwin modem(56K)

Please help??

Do I need to do a factory reset on the modem and then write it to the nv-RAM??

It is and it isn't your modem. It sounds like it's incompatable with your isp and eather your modem or your isp servers are refusing to handshake. Thats one of the many problems with winmodems. Other than switching isp's I'd say go with a controler based modem. US Robotics still makes controler based modems.

If you have already updating drivers, and other various ISP's and even used a different modem on the line, I would suggest ordering another modem, maybe its just defective. If its under warranty send it back.

I have tried using the modem with different ISP and also checked the line and same problem, I can not find out the modem manufacturer from the information on the board.

no manufacturer or fcc id number to trace,

Thats why i'm using the generic drivers.

If anyone can help with a web address for the drivers!!!!

Please don't think I'm trying to hijack this thread, but I was going to post a similar topic and read this one. I am having the same exact problem as icus but with a couple of differences.

1. The original modem in my Dell machine was fried by lightning.

2. I installed a new US Robotics modem and it worked for approx. 3 months and then also quit working (Same symptoms as icus. Modem dials, says it is connecting, then promptly disconnects). I then bought another modem (I think it is a Lucent?) and installed it with the same result. I tried the modems in all PCI slots, updated drivers, contacted my ISP for info and fixes, etc, etc.

To make sure that I didn't just have two bad modems I installed them in my other machine and both worked flawlessly.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the lightning not only fried the original modem in the Dell but did some other damage that just did not show up until later? Anyway, I guess if it also damaged something on the motherboard I am really messed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom