mixed network

Status
Not open for further replies.
all the os are xp pro all with sp1a. ive got my adsl connection to my server, from that i have a cable to my main comp. also from my server i have a wireless card to connect to my bros comp (which obviously has wireless card) both wireless cards are d-link dwl-520+ witch is wireless b but accerlerated to 22mb. my cable from. thinks thats all the info i can give u, i could go into each system specs but i dont think thre is any point. im am not using any hubs or routers. effectively im using my server as a router with a harddrive. thanks

So, when you say server you mean the computer the will host the internet connection... that explains a few things.

Here is what you have to do.

First of all, make sure that the host computer is connected to the internet.

You will want to enable your Internet Connection Sharing (If you need more info, do a search and you will find LOTS of info and how to's)

Once you enable your ICS on your main PC, you will want to go to your bro's computer and run the networking wizard to connect properly.

Once you're done, you should be able to connect to the internet from any of the machines. Just remember, your main computer has to be on all of the time or the rest of the computers won't be able to get to the internet.

yea thing is ive dun all that. i have ran the networkin wizard on every comp. ive enabled the ics. and ive now ran out of ideas.

i dont have the wifi laptop yet. atm all i have is 3 comps 2wire network cards a cable and 2wireless network cards

ok heres how it is ive bought a linksys wireless router. but of course it doesnt have a dsl modem in it and to plug my modem into it need it to be a ethernet (lan) cable port but mine is usb. i can probles get a modem for about 30GBP from a shop but i cant till im paid at the end of the month :( the 3 comps are all connected up fine they all ping each other and its a proper workin network. minus the internet that is. ive tried using one of my comps with the modem in it to share the internet with the rest of the nework but the router isnt allowin that. does any1 have any ideas what i could do that would a) save me buyin a new modem or b) make the interent available accross the whole network on a temperary basis. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom