Status
Not open for further replies.

adian

Beta member
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Integrated LAN Driver: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Relevant Software:
Watchguard Mobile User VPN Version 6.1.1
Dell/McAfee Security Center - Virus Scan and Privacy Software installed, Firewall has never been
No Firewall software

Erroring Miniport Names:
Deterministic Networks WAN Virtual Miniport
Direct Parallel
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport
Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
WAN Miniport (IP) - Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

These are picked from memory and looking at the list of a similar computer. There are one, maybe two that are missing, but I don't at this moment have access to the trouble computer to find them.

Problem:
Yesterday a friend came to me complaining that their internet simply stopped working. When I checked the device manager, I noticed a long list of items, listed above, with exclimation points. The error for all of them was Code 31, or unavailable driver. I have since been able to get internet access, but many of those devices are still showing errors, and I would like to fix them.

Steps Taken So Far:
I attempted to reinstall the driver for the network card, but that had no effect. I uninstalled that card and it was successfully reinstalled, but with the same error. I didn't touch any of the miniports because, frankly, I know next to nothing about them.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Watchguard client, which removed the errors on three of the miniports, the card driver itself, and I think two of the Deterministic Network miniports, though the exact two have slipped my mind. I would later uninstall the software and leave it that way.

I also uninstalled the McAfee privacy software (leaving the Virus Scan). Though I doubt that had any relevance to the problem, I was running out of ideas with no connection to the internet to search for solutions.

After viewing the LAN connection properties, I deselected the QoS Packet Scheduler service and the internet started to work. I then uninstalled and reinstalled this service. I was only able to test web browsing due to time constraints, and despite the errors it seemed to be working fine.

As I said earlier, I am not familiar with miniports, their configuration, or what would happen if I tried to uninstall and reinstall them.

Any help would be appreciated, though I don't have much access to the system to frequently "try" things. I am also curious to know what could have caused this problem, I don't think he made any changes to his configuration that could be to blame.

Regardless, thanks for taking the time to read this. :p

boot into safe mode. Uninstall all networking devices. Let the reload when you reboot in regular mode.
MiniPorts are using for monitoring mostly. In most cases, you can uninstall without a problem. As you have removed the applications that are associated to the miniports, you should be fine.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom