might be getting high speed or wireless soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes i know that,,,thats why my gaming rig will be the one wired. The rest will be the ones using the wireless router cards...

So how much will the modem cost and how much will the service cost me a month...

I would want at least a 2mb down speed (unlimited downloading, im not sure if some plans have restrictions there)

Actually, it won't slow down that much.

A modem cost is determined by the company. Some charge you a one-time fee of $99, mines charges me $5 per month. The service is also different, depending on the company. It should be from $30-50/month, depending on the speed and where you will be. You also need to check if the company has a cap or not. Some do, some don't.

You'll probably be getting Bell DSL as Rogers Cable is pretty unreliable in the city during the busy hours. It makes it tough for gaming. All of Bell's modems are also wireless routers now so you won't need to buy a router. I personally can't stand their routers so I have a D-Link hooked up to it.

If you have Comcast in your area, call them personally and ask for a quote... Their online prices are a bit high and don't list some of the packages that I was able to get locally.

For example: Online I was going to purchase digital cable with HDTV and high speed internet for like $100 a month. Then I called Comcast as a friend of mine instructed me to do and I was able to get all that for $75 a month, including modem rental. The speeds we have here are amazing! For just the base level $33 a month internet I get 6mbps download speed and 2mbps upload speed. At times they get as high as 10mbps/4mbps. Comcast has a great fiberoptic network up here and it is really amazing for online gaming. I never lag anymore like I did with DSL.

Depending on your budget, you can get packages of 50mbps down and 30mbps up. Actually 16mbps/6mbps is what I get whenever I am connecting to cities within 200 miles (Such as Chicago, IL, or Columbus, OH; Me being in northeast Indiana). It is only when I try to connect to locations accross the US that my bandwitdh is stretched and I only experience the 6mbps/2mbps.

ok,,,well you have helped me a lot...thank you.

A mod can close the thread now...i think i pretty much understand it.
Ask and you shall receive. Closed. If you wish it opened again contact me via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom