might be getting high speed or wireless soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
Close Thread Please Mods

ok,,, i might be moving within the next year (prob more like next 2 years though) and i would like to know ahead of time what i will need to buy to have high speed,,,or wireless internet(witch ever is available there is what i will get) I will prob be gaming a **** of a lot because i have had dial up my entire life and never been able to play online multiplayer...

Now i don't know a lot about this kind of stuff (seeing as i have never used it)...if i went wireless would i just buy a wireless internet card and hook up to the best connection out there like on a laptop or do i have to purchase access.

Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Most likely, the broadband will come from a modem, which is where you would have to buy a router to connect to it. Then you have two choices: run Ethernet cabling or buy a wireless adapter.

lol,,,please explain what that means...remember i have never used anything like this before.

I think i know what you mean though..i have to buy a modem (an external one i think is what you mean) then connect the modem to my comp (which has a router in it) with an ethernet cable.

I haven't heard of a pc combined with a router before :)
For my broadband, I've just got an adsl router connected to my pc, and that router is connected to the phone line.

You may rent the modem as well, it will be a modem that the internet provider sells or rents to you. Also there is a modem that is highly used by many internet providers like qwest and mediacom and so on, it's called "2 wire", it is a wireless modem for the most part but at least one computer has to be physically (via ethernet cable) plugged into one of the ports. I personally have the 2 Wire modem and have one computer accessing it with a cable and two others attaching to it wirelessly. The good thing is that these modems are automatically WEP enabled, they give you the key of course.

Now sometimes you'll get the extra nice internet providers like SBC where you can use their cheap wired modem but run your own wireless router off of that, so if you have your own router, you don't have to buy a new one just because some conglomorate corporation has proprietary hardware to milk consumers of their cash.

EDIT: Um, no, computers do not have built in routers. That would be nice though...

Make sense? It didn't make sense to me until I switched providers a few times, kinda learned the ins and outs of things as I went.

When you order broadband, the company will either make you buy a modem from them or make you rent or lease it. The modem is a little box that converts the internet signal to a computer network signal. The modem can be connected directly to a computer or can be connected to a router, a device that splits the connection for many computers to use.

So do i have this right?

I buy a cable modem.. i buy a cable service (from qwest or mediacom or what ever is available) Then i will have high speed (not wireless) on that computer...i can then buy a wireless router and buy wireless cards for this router to hook up to other computers...which i have about three other computers that would be handy if they were connected to the internet.

Yes. You sign up for a service and buy a modem. Then you buy a router and how even many wireless adapter card you need so you can share the internet among all your computers.

Playing multiplayer games on a wireless network with 4 computers isn't going to be as fast as a wired network. You may want to reconsider your network strategy.

yes i know that,,,thats why my gaming rig will be the one wired. The rest will be the ones using the wireless router cards...

So how much will the modem cost and how much will the service cost me a month...

I would want at least a 2mb down speed (unlimited downloading, im not sure if some plans have restrictions there)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom