Method of Internet Connection Sharing???

Which Graphics engine is the overall best

• Doom 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Source (HL-2)

• FarCry

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgroovin

HONK if you route packets
All,
I'd like to include the results of this poll along with some instructions for the popular topics to the Tech-Forums newsletter.
Please voice your opinion......please be clear, a little concise and base some facts behind your opinion.

So, the topic obviously is......which method of internet connection sharing do you find to be best overall.....

The following, among other areas should be thought about before voting:

1) cost
2) ease of use
3) ease of setup
4) maintenence (if any)
5) speed for what it's used for

You get the point. So, please vote and then give a little "advise" out to the other members by following up your vote with a post.

Thanks,
Mike

I'd say dsl cuz its cheaper and it maynot be as fast but it does get the job done. I have a desktop hard wired to my dlink router and my laptop connected too it wirelessly, also with my xbox and ps2 connected too it wirelessly also. My little sister can connect too the network with her notebook running a wireless card. This is a great setup, very easy too use and I have file sharing on my desktop and notebook enabled so I can transfer school papers, tunes, or games. If your on a budget, or your area doesn't have cable (like me) I'd definately check out SBC's dsl

Thanks!
Exactly the kind of material I'm looking for.
How's uptime and support?

choice: cable through wired router

This post is based upon whats available in my local area.

I think comcast cable around here goes for about 40-50 bucks a month. The speed is 3Mbps down 256Kbps up. Its a always on connection. I know verizon dsl runs 50 bucks a month. The speed is 300k down 128k up. Its is a always on connection. So for about the same amount, I could get 10x faster speed.

I have heard of outages of cable services due construction and network failure for a week at a time, where as with my dsl i have only run across one instance where i was left without dsl for 2 days.

The setup for my dsl was fairly easy. Install microfilters, connect modem, setup router with username & password. I needed access to a phone line. Cable was fairly simple too. Split cable line, connect modem, call comcast for initial setup.

I chose a wired connection over wireless because of faster speeds, ease of security, and guarenteed connection.

I have never called comcast for support so i will not compare with anything else. However, Verizon has provided me with excellent and fast support when i needed it.

Personally I use a linux box as a gateway and server. My network comprises three different types of OS and two different types of hardware. Linux represents the best method of getting all these technoliges working together. It also means that my network only uses the TCP/IP protocol, as it's standards based it means that anyone can come round to my house and plug in no matter what OS/Hardware they are using, no nsaty NetBIOS here. Security is also good and I can use the massive Library of GNU software which means I can add server technology for no cost whatsoever, a big plus.

The only problem I find is that MSN services do not play very nicely behind NAT and a Firewall, doesn't really bother me because I don't use windows..

My other half on the other hand...

If I was to use a hardware router I would be limited in what I can achieve with it. Plus I would be stuck with the Firewall technology that company chose to use. I find my setup incredibly flexible and future proofed.

However getting it all to play nicely in the first place was not easy at all. Requied months of learning and fiddling, if you just want to be up and running then the majority of users are going to use ICS with a windows box. However this doesn't offer you that much flexibility without extra cost, so it may be more effective to use a hardware router. However since I got it working it has required no maintenance whatsoever.

I should also point out that if I was not using the Linux box I could plug the modem into both the Mac and PC and be running a shared internet connection in the time it took for the modem to connect to the ISP. Was the first thing I did to check the connection. I should point out that in the UK, at least, you have to wait about 5 days for your connection to be activated once you have bought the service.

DSL/Cable -

Here in the UK we have different market conditions to those in the US. Cable services here are not nearly as widespread as in the US. Having essentially free to air TV, there is a TV license fee, means that take up of cable by the consumer is nowhere near the scale of the US, so although you can theoretically achieve much higher throughput with a cable connection you have to install and buy the cable TV services which depends very much on what area you live in and also represents an extra cost of buying TV that I don't really want to watch, most of the good stuff is shown free to air,why pay a premium to watch unfettered crap all day?

Secondly the telephone network in this country is run and owned almost exclusively by one company, BT. Where's the competition you may cry, well coverage is very nearly 100% and it just works. Outages are very rare indeed, your garrunteed that technology you buy will just work and BT has developed world leading technology in terms of phone networks and their implementation. So until it stops just working I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.

DSL service here is quite expensive, but is getting cheaper. Also choosing the right ISP is an important factor. But as the phone network is so stable, ISP's that exploit the technology well, provide an excellent service. My connection is 1Mb down 256k up. This costs about £50-£60 pounds, about $110 a month. However you need to take in to account cost of living over here before making a direct comparison with cost in the US. Also we just don't get the economies of scale you guys do. However I do get a connection that never goes down, well it did once but that was because there was a huge fire in one of BT's networks exchanges (left it very slow or impossible connecting to the US however much of the network was still available if at crap speeds), and where contention is just not a factor. My contract promisies a contention of 20:1. However I have found that I always have full bandwidth available and my download speeds rely only on the server I am connecting to. I should also point out that I didn't have to pay any extra for a static IP or mail services. Plus I have no 'download limit', ie. it doesn't cut out when I have downloaded a gig of data in a week or something equally silly like that. This to me smacks of another way to get round the contention issue. From a customer point of view what do you want, a connection that is always up and available but is maybe a little slow at times, or a connection that just stops working on you in the middle of something important and that you have to pay more for to get working again? Upfront clear cost implicatons are the way to go here...

The most promising network technology I have seen is one based on the electricty grid thats supplies power to your house. Network coverage is alomst total and the bandwidths they talk about are just silly. Anyway, it doesn't exist commercially yet so this is a no go.

Here in the UK, unless you've already got cable, the best choice is DSL, or more accurately, Asynchronos DSL, do you not wonder why your up speeds are much lower?

If your in the UK I recomend Eclipse as an ISP, yes it's slightly more expensive, but like anything life you get what you pay for....

As for speed. I downloaded a 650Mb Half life 2 demo in 1 hour 23 mins. Not too shabby, maximum theoretical speed gives a time of about 1 hour 17mins, but the server was in the UK. The only need for more speed that I can see is if you are constantly downloading DVD material off the net. But then you wouldn't be doing that would you? For most websurfing you don't need more than about 256k down. I have more so that there's not a notciable slowdown when 2 or more people are surfing and for the occaisional larger download of course ;)

Voted: DSL with a gateway/router (wireless)

I have a choice of both cable and DSL and even though you can get up to 6mbps on Cable, I can't justify the high price tag that comes with it.

I'm currently using SBC DSL and I'm sharing my internet connection via a Linksys 802.11G AP/Router.

I have had 100% uptime on my DSL (Been over a year already) and 100% uptime with the router as well. It has not given me any problems whatsoever.

I decided to go wireless for a few reasons.
Main reason: Laptop. There is nothing like being able to roam about freely at home without loosing your internet connectivity! Any room becomes an internet hang out room.

Another reason is the amount of computers I use at home, I have multiple computers, they all have their specific purposes, server and a couple of workstations. I use them for practice as well and having the router setup as the DHCP server saves me allot of time.

COST: Cost wise I spent about $175 for the Linksys router and a Wifi Card (When it first came out)

Definitely worth it!

DSL with a gateway/router (wired)

I live in Kansas City Missouri, and it's only $26.95 for DSL with a connection up to 1.5 Mbps. That's only 3 or 4 dollars more then AOL! So I use SBC, and I have had little to no problems with my connection. My connection my get dropped from time to time, and I'll have to reboot my modem. Otherwise my up time is great, and the speed has been perfect for what I need.

The only down side to SBC's service so far has been one experience with their tech support. When I was talking with the tech I could tell he knew nothing about what he was talking about, was clearly reading from a scripted responce, and provided no real help. Though I guess this is probably the case for all ISP level 1 tech support.

My network consists of:
-DSL modem
-SmoothWall linux based firewall/router.
-Linksys 4 port hub.
-Windows XP on my main system.
-2 other test boxes I load with Win 98, Linux, or whatever I feel like

The Smoothwall firewall/router is an old computer, P 233 MHz with 64 MB of RAM and a 2 GB hard drive with 2 network cards. It's more then Smoothwall needs as far as system requirments, but I'm not using the system otherwise. I obtained the Smoothwall OS from smoothwall.org. I am using the Smoothwall 2.0 Express. It is extremely easy to install and configure. It has a very nice web interface, so I can admin the box from my main computer.

The DSL modem is connected directly to one NIC on my Smoothwall system. Then the other NIC on the Smoothwall goes directly to my 4 port hub. My main system and what ever other system I have is connected into th hub as well. I have the Smoothwall stup as a DCHP server, so all I need to do is hook a system in, and it's on the Internet.

I chose wired because I don't have a laptop, all my computers are in my office, and I live in an appartment complex where I'm sure someone would mooch off my connection unless I locked it down. I just like a wired connection for it's dependibility, speed, and I can physically control who is connected to my LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom