Meridian CD Net 956

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcparts4every1

Baseband Member
Hey guys and gals,i have a Meridian CD Net 956,for those of you that dont know what it is let me explain,it is about 2 feet wide,3 feet tall and about 16 inches deep,it has a side compartment with a motherboard,ram,harddrive,4 adaptec pci scsi cardsnetwork card,video card(AT style w/200mhz cpu),and then the main compartment houses 28 scsi cd rom drives..i either want to get this networked and use it as cd server,or get rid of it so someone else can use...so if i was going to set it up to use for its purpose...how would i begin to do this,i am on high speed cable,and there is a router and a hub here..i tried setting it up on the network so all the cd roms were shared,but even though my computer sees them,if you try to access any it locks up the server..someone told me this was NOT the right way to do this..so i registered to this forum in hopes of getting some professional HELP.

Thanx in advance
Eric

so you have an OS on this correct? You have to make sure that access is granted to each drive. we do this with permissions via independant shares, but it may be different for your hardware.

there is a small harddrive(1.6gb)and it has windows 98 on it...whereas every other computer in my house has windows xp pro...but i dont think this will run xp pro due to the low processor speed

well that is a maybe, but NT4 will run on it. Might want to consider using that in place of 98 as 98 is not a good network OS. NT4 is ok, win2k is better, but NT will operate great on that machine.
That would be my suggestions for this application.

i have windows 2000...will that work better?..also will i need to install a bigger harddrive?..my windows 2000 is an upgrade version

you can use win2k, but i would again say to locate a copy of NT4 and use that. it's very small and will run ideal on this machine. Win2k will run on it but it will be slow. that device should have NT as that is what I would assume was actually shipped on it. win2k will work, but like I have said before, NT will be better...

there you go... Novell is a true network OS. That was why it had it on it. Find NT and use that, or try Win2k. see if that works.

create shares for each drive in the system and then give everyone permissions to them. That should be enough to get them working. let me know if you have trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom