ME networking issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Urge

In Runtime
I'm trting to get a ME box to connect to the internet thru a netgear router. It just won't work. et em tell you what I have tried.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC.

I can ping the router. TCP/IP is bound to the NIC.

Ive run the wizard (like that ever works )

Client for MS networks is installed.

When I use IPCONFIG I do see that the comp thinks that there is another ethernet card with PPP, but I can't find anything in the device manager.

Is this a DNS issue or something? I dont know getting pretty frustrated. This should be an easy thing here.

Any ideas? I getting ready to take out the hammer and chisel and fix it the old fashioned way.

P.S. the router does work. I have an XP box hooked up that works great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jerome

First off. If you can ditch ME its possible the worst incarnation of Windows ever.

What are the results if you type IPCONFIG /ALL in the command window?

Try typing IPCONFIG /Release and then IPCONFIG /Renew

(it might be Release_all and Renew_all I can't remember in ME)

I was gonna say what jinexile said about changing os's. XP is much easier to use in these types of situations.

try going this way
start>run>winipcfg
if it says 0.0.0.0 as an address and ppp adapter across the top, click the drop downmenu on the ppp adapter to see if your nic shows up. if it does, it should give you a proper ip address. if you don't see it then you need to do some other things here.

if you don't see a nic in your device manager, try reinstalling the tcp/ip first, then reinstall the nic drivers. if that doesn't do the trick, then try moving your nic to a different slot on your motherboard, and repeat those steps listed above. if you can't get your os to recognize it, you will not connect. and no, this is not a dns issue, it could be a faulty nic card or bad drivers, or even possibly something motherboard related such as something in the pci slot or worse.

*edit - one thing i don't get is why people say oh ditch ME or upgrade, when that is not the issue at hand. not very helpful to the immediate problem if you ask me. some people cannot afford to upgrade their software.

GeckoEcho421 said:
I was gonna say what jinexile said about changing os's. XP is much easier to use in these types of situations.

I don't have the money to upgrade right now. Thank you for the response though.

jinexile said:
First off. If you can ditch ME its possible the worst incarnation of Windows ever.

What are the results if you type IPCONFIG /ALL in the command window?

Try typing IPCONFIG /Release and then IPCONFIG /Renew

(it might be Release_all and Renew_all I can't remember in ME)

Thank you for replying. I have tried the IPCONFIG /renew_all and the release all to no avail. One of the other responders had some suggestions that I wil try and I'll let evry one know what happens.

sunsider said:
try going this way
start>run>winipcfg
if it says 0.0.0.0 as an address and ppp adapter across the top, click the drop downmenu on the ppp adapter to see if your nic shows up. if it does, it should give you a proper ip address. if you don't see it then you need to do some other things here.

if you don't see a nic in your device manager, try reinstalling the tcp/ip first, then reinstall the nic drivers. if that doesn't do the trick, then try moving your nic to a different slot on your motherboard, and repeat those steps listed above. if you can't get your os to recognize it, you will not connect. and no, this is not a dns issue, it could be a faulty nic card or bad drivers, or even possibly something motherboard related such as something in the pci slot or worse.

*edit - one thing i don't get is why people say oh ditch ME or upgrade, when that is not the issue at hand. not very helpful to the immediate problem if you ask me. some people cannot afford to upgrade their software.

Thanks for the response. Well nothing worked. I am able to network the system without a problem but the going online with it seems just out of the question. Ive tried uninstalling reinstalling and just about everything to no avail. I'm just going to back the SOB up and format the damn thing. I'll probably end up putting 98SE on it and turning the ME disc into a coaster for my gin and tonics :D
Thanks for trying to help out.
Jerome

well I had a similar problem with my netgear, but mines a wireless router. The problem had nothing to do with my PC (running XP Pro). I had to login to the router and I believe I went to Router Status and clicked connect. The router was then able to give me a valid IP from my ISP. Give it a try, not sure what model your netgear is.

Well I figured it out. It was a Winsock problem. I used w2fix and the issue is resolved. thanks for all of the ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom