Maybe a new router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that, man. A lot of people do stand by Linksys. I had a WRT54GL before my Netgear. The WRT54GL Ethernet ports failed. After many diagnostics, I just was, the heck with it. It was a long way out of warranty. I sort of shied away from Linksys at that point. I had no knowledge on the Cisco Command Line.

I bought the Netgear WNDR3700 because several of my friends used it and liked it. Also, there were good reviews on it. It was a good buy IMO.

I am not going to return the DLink. I am having no problems with it. I am happy with it.

It's cool. But just so you know, next time you go for a router, go for the CISCO. CISCO makes SOHO routers. And when they go FUBAR, just pick up a CCENT book or whatever, and you can actually talk to your router, and it will tell you what's wrong with it. (not in so many words, but you get the idea) even how to fix it/correct the issue.

Yeah, like any diagnostic tool. Isn't CISCO expensive, though? I know it's Linksys branch isn't too bad.

CISCO Business routers (ones you'd use in a large business with 15+ computers in it, heck to the yes) yes, but Home Routers, like the CISCO 836 you can pull in for roughly the same price as a WRT45G. probably about $15-20 more.

Why get a wrt54g? It's incredibly old, and outdated, I will say the fact you can usually throw custom firmware on it is nice, but most newer routers are far superior.

Why get a wrt54g? It's incredibly old, and outdated, I will say the fact you can usually throw custom firmware on it is nice, but most newer routers are far superior.

WRT45G whether the K,L, or M models, to date, the highest performing routers outside of CISCO Logo. To date, I've never had an issue with a WRTG45G I couldn't troubleshoot, or find ways to upgrade capabilities. Just a matter of setting additonal parameters, and it'll still push to the top of the line.

Despite it's age, unless you're going to put in for an E2000, 2100L, or an E3000, it's top of the line.

For an everage of $30 now, a WRTG45G is still the top rated. The 2100L is pretty good for the price, but if you're not familiar with Linux OSs, it'll be pretty difficult.

the E2000 is good, but it's dual band capability, unless you know what you need, and how your switchs (if applicable) are configured, it can take a little bit to figure out.

The E3000, is simply too powerful to be considered for anything less than 12 systems on your network. Especially considering the typical price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom