Massive Internet Issues: Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelcaress

Beta member
I have an interesting problem with my wife's computer that I hope you can help with. She's running Windows 2000 Pro, SP4.

She recently lost internet access (most likely due to a tech at Mediacom, our internet company) and when I type in "ipconfig" in the Administrator Account it gives me no IP addresses whatsoever.

When I type in a "release" or "renew" switch along with it, I get this error: "No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP."

Okay, fair enough. I Googled the error message, as I do whenever I get a message I don't quite know how to troubleshoot, and found this page: http://www.jsifaq.com/subR/tip8700/rh8740.htm. I follow the instructions on the page, and am stopped when I find the command it asked me to run opens Device Manager. Device Manager doesn't show a network adapter tab. It never has. Even while the machine was online.

The card works fine. There is no problem with it, as near as I can tell. And I have the same card in my machine, working fine. The card lights up when you plug the router in, the router shows that the port is in use and that there's an active link there. I've even swapped out cables to make sure that things are running smoothly, and plugged it directly into the cable modem. Still nothing.

Strangely enough there's also no "Local Area Connection" or whatever under her Network information (GUI, not command line). And when I make a new connection, it doesn't stick. It doesn't show anything new.

I have something gleaned from Microsoft's Help and Support site. It's a scripting command to force an adapter back to DCHP:

netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp

Will that screw things up royally, or have no effect, or have any effect at all? I'm thinking it won't be able to do anything, since there is no "Local Area Connection" to bind back to DHCP.

It's almost like this computer was on the internet "just because" and no other trace can be found. I know in Win98 you can uninstall and reinstall the TCP/IP stack. You can reset it in Windows XP. I'm not sure what to do in Windows 2000, or whether that drastic a step is appropriate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would try to reinstall the NIC by moving it to another PCI slot then installing the driver again. The NIC should appear in Device Manager and the Local Area Network or else it could had failed, driver corrupted, etc.

You can also use winsockfix to help restore your TCP/IP setting. Windows 2000 won't let you uninstall it, but you can still reset the TCP/IP stack.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html

Solved

Well, apparently, after poking around inside her case, I found the ethernetcard had come loose. I always figured that after the MediaCom guy had messed with it, and it lost internet access immediately after his departure, that some setting was the culprit.

That's what I get for barking up the wrong tree. I tried the winsockfix too, first, because that was the fastest and easiest. Not sure if that worked, since it didn't solve the problem, but the NIC is reseated, screwed in, working fine, and she has internet.

Thanks, Law.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom