In the market for a new Gaming Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle1

Solid State Member
Im looking to buy a FAST !!! Router for gaming and stuff...
the most im looking to spend is $150 or so
Heres the stuff i have that will be connected to the internet:
5 Iphone's
Ps3
Xbox 360
3 Laptops
2 gaming computer desktops
1 desktop used as a server box

Do you have a great deal of banwidth? Without that, the best router in the world it will not increase your bandwidth.

Go to Speakeasy Speed Test and run a test from one of their servers. That will give you a GENERAL idea of what your bandwidth is. YOu can also call your ISP to see what your are paying for (doesn't always mean you are getting that much though).

Any router with "gaming" in the name or description is just a load of bs. It's highly unlikely that your internet connection is going to come anywhere near what the router is capable of in terms of bandwidth.

Any router with "gaming" in the name or description is just a load of bs. It's highly unlikely that your internet connection is going to come anywhere near what the router is capable of in terms of bandwidth.
+1, you are never going to get throughput at speeds that 'gaming' routers claim. Reason being is your internet speed is based off bandwidth, bandwidth is based off what you pay to your ISP.

Your download speed would be 1.85MByte/s down and 108Kbyte/s up. That's not horrible, but if you have more than a few devices online at the same time it can create problems. If someone is torrenting especially, it will destroy your latency in games, and make it nearly unplayable. I don't know if this is a problem for you, but torrenting (and other various internet connections) uses p2p, which means that you are connected to hundreds or even thousands of people at a time (even if you only see 2 seeds and 2 leech, you're still connected to many many more than that). So this means you are sending data back and forth to all of these connections and, even if they don't use much bandwidth (32bytes per sent packet for a ping for example) they will still absolutely destroy your ping to a single server for online multiplayer.

I had a speakeasy speed test result of 52Mbit down and 12Mbit up, but in reality my connection was 3MByte/s down and 500Kbyte/s up max, which is 24Mbps down, and 4~Mbits up. Even at this, which is roughly twice your down speed and over 4x your up speed, if even 1 other computer on my network was torrenting, online games were **** near unplayable (300-600ping). You'll notice a large difference in what speakeasy told me, and my actual max speeds. This is because for the first ~10Mbytes of a file, most ISPs use some sort of "speed booster" technology. It's basically just a set cap that kicks in after a brief burst period at the beginning of a transfer. So Speakeasy is getting your results from this "burst" period of high bandwidth, and when you actually download a file you'll notice it will be much lower then your results said.

The best way to take care of this situation is to isolate your gaming rigs on a separate connection, and make sure none of them are ever torrenting or downloading multiple files. Even running a simple server can drastically impact your ping. This way you would have 2 networks. 1 for gaming and 1 for general use / downloading / whatever else.

This is what I would do in your situation, but you could just stop every other computer from doing anything intensive as far as connections go.

The reason I mention all of this is because you wanted a gaming router. You need a gaming NETWORK, not a router. The only way to get this is to set it up yourself. You could get a good gaming experience on 512Kbit down and 100Kbit up, which is ridiculously slow comparatively. It's all about how you set up the network, and what the individual machines are doing on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom