mapping a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
I am having peer to peer network of 4 computers using win XP. I would like to map a network drive but it's not being possible. Say my computer names are w,x,y z and workgroup is mshome,

when I do \\mshome\x , doesn't work. If i have to put the filenames should i give \\mshome\x.share or what

driving me mad,can anyone pls help me?

Would that be XP professional or XP home? Win XP makes it easy to map a network drive. The first thing to do is make sure file and print sharing is turned on. Next you

1. right click on My Network Places
2. go to map a network drive
3. select drive letter
4. click on browse
5. browse to the computer and folder you want mapped and click ok

Also you don't map a drive by using the workgroup name as part of the network share path. (Unless it is a different workgroup AND you have a valid admin account)

If your PC name is X and you have a shared folder called Stuff...

\\mshome\x\stuff - WILL NOT WORK

\\X\stuff - WILL WORK

Matt0202 said:
Would that be XP professional or XP home? Win XP makes it easy to map a network drive. The first thing to do is make sure file and print sharing is turned on. Next you

1. right click on My Network Places
2. go to map a network drive
3. select drive letter
4. click on browse
5. browse to the computer and folder you want mapped and click ok

When I click on the 'browse' button, nothing comes up. I'm having the same problems as the original poster of this thread and have tried everything with no luck!! It's very frustrating.

Forget about mapping a drive for the moment.....
What is the computer name of the PC sharing the folder?
What is the share name of the folder? (Not the folder name...but the name it's shared as)

Once you have these two bits of info....go to the other computer and first see if you can access the share. Pull up Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer and in the address bar type "\\ComputerName\ShareName" These, of course, are whatever you found from the other computer. Hit enter and see what comes up.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
Forget about mapping a drive for the moment.....
What is the computer name of the PC sharing the folder?
What is the share name of the folder? (Not the folder name...but the name it's shared as)

Once you have these two bits of info....go to the other computer and first see if you can access the share. Pull up Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer and in the address bar type "\\ComputerName\ShareName" These, of course, are whatever you found from the other computer. Hit enter and see what comes up.

-Mike

Ok...this seems to work when I open IE. I can see the files from the other computer. Is there something I need to do now at this point? I can't seem to share my printer either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom