making cat5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I've got retail cables that work at 100Mbps, but none of them are long enough to make the run from one end of a 2-story house to the other. I definately know it's my cable and I know it was cat 5e before I slapped the connectors on there so it should work. However, 10 connectors later I have one cable that only runs at 10 Mbps, and it irks me, because it looks just like the ones from the store...

Ah well, I'll have to wait till payday so I can get a cable tester that can tell me more I think.

Alex

It's very interesting but if the cable is bended somewhere the conection may be very low , or nothing.
Make shure when you run it
no where is bend.

This metter is for data cables only....

I make cables regularly, the standard is 1/2 inch of bare wires, I always strip about 3/4's inch of wire to work with though.

CAT5e cables are fairly easy to make. Don't leave bare wire, the longer the wires are untwisted and out to the open, the worse your connection is going to be. CAT5e cables are twisted for a cancelling effect to reduce noise and outside interferences.

PS: I've gotten all my CAT5e cables to work at 100mbs. However, for the standard gigabit ethernet your going to need retail cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom