Main fast.. 2ndary comp isnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay...so it's

Modem -> router -> 2 PC's

One is fast, second one isn't. I would try diagnostics on the NIC card? If it's onboard try a PCI card possibly if you have a spare laying around. Perhaps check the cable? I have the same router and it gives me no trouble. I have another router behind it in line and it works perfect after configuration...

Hmm...I would guess hardware problem possibly, if it's plugged up to the router hardwired and the first PC is the same and it works okay...the second PC should be fine as well...

Try to ping both the default gateway, and the other PC from each of the 2 hosts.... Then write down the results, and post them here.

To find the IP address, open a command prompt, START > RUN > type CMD > type IP CONFIG.

From the command prompt, type PING x.x.x.x (where the x.x.x.x is the IP address of the default gateway, and another time with the other computers IP address..... If the ping times are about equal, try PING google.com from each computer, and see how/if the results vary.

I installed a PCI Ethernet card brand new one... and it still is slow...

PING times are the same for both computers.

Only need a crossover cable for switches sometimes or if hooking PC to PC really I believe if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom