Mac/Windows Printer Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vybuni

Daemon Poster
How can i get my old iMac to be able to use the printer attached to my windows XP machine? The iMac is like 1st or 2nd generation running OS 9.1. I also want to set up filesharing between it and my other PC's. They are all wired to the same hub.
Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I'm sorry for the repost, but i wasn't receiving any responses on my first post.

Install your Printer drivers on both the PC and the Mac. Make sure it will print form both machines when directly connected.
Make sure printer sharing is turned on for the PC.
Open Printer Setup Utility (in /Applications/Utilities).
Click the Add Printer button.
Hold down the Option key while clicking on "more printers" (for the Advanced menu).
Select the Advanced menu at the top.
For Device, choose 'Windows Printer via SAMBA.'
Name the device whatever you want.
In the Device URL field, use this format:
smb://userName:password@workgroup/computer/printer
Find your exact printer model. If it is not listed where it should be, look under "ESP." If ESP is not there, you will have to install your CUPS and GIMP printer drivers from your OS X install disk.)

Hmmm. I can't find the "Printer Setup Utility." There is the "Desktop Printer Utility." Is that the same thing?

Another thing: do I have to actually be connected to the network my PC is on for this to work? How would I connect to it? In the "network browser" in the apple menu I can't connect to my PCs.

NOTE: Im using OS 9.1.

I have TCP/IP on my mac. It has an IP address using that. When I try to ping it get a response, but when I try to connect to my PC's IP address, it doesn't connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom