Mac and PC on a Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberboy

Beta member
So I have a PC running XP and a Mac running OS 9.1... I have a Netgear router...
I have Adelphia Cable internet...
My Problem is... I cant get both computer running on the internet at the same time... Either my roomies (The Mac) is on it, and I cant get on... or Im on (The PC) and he cant get online...
I've called both Adelphia and My motherboard tech support and they both said something about DHCP and StaticIP... Then got rid of my like I knew what they were talking about once they said those words... Anyways...
I've been figiting with my computer forever trying to figure it out... And im on my room-mates Mac right now... Is there any thing I can do on to get these computers both running...?
Netgear is retarded and requires you to PAY FOR TECH SUPPORT!!!!!!!
Personally, I think if you buy one of their products... you should get free tech support... Nah... They'll just be stingy/greedy... Anyways... I was looking around on the Mac TCP/IP settings and there was things like RARP Server/DCHP Server/BootP Server... I want some advice on what to do before I mess with anything though... Any help is GREATLY appreciated...
Thanks

Cy

Sounds like you might have duplicate IP address, is your router DHCP enable? is NAT enable? What is the IP address on the MAC and PC? Are they the same..

Im not sure, How can I tell?
What confuses me is, It shows im connected on my pc...
It'll say Connected at 100.00 mbps and what not, but wont connect to the net :(
I dont know anything about the router I have... =/

Cy

Can you connect to the router? I dont think that you have duplicate IP address because you get a differetn warning in windows if that is the case. More then likely the router is not configured properly. Goto their web site and find the instalation info for the router model that you haven and read it. It will teach you how to get into the router settings and how to set it up to obtain an addres from the cable modem and to give addresses to the systems on the LAN.
Do this as well. Goto start>run>type cmd> type ipconfig /all> let us know what the numbers are. By that I mean the autoconfiguration, DHCP, ip address, gateway address, DNS servers, DHCP server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom