MAC Addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJohnson13

Beta member
Really could use some help. I have connected my Computer to my Linksys WRT54GL Router via LAN. I have an issue with this though. I am blocked by MAC address or I think my stepdad just put permit only a few other computers on our network. If I changed my MAC address to one of the addresses he has permitted will it work? If he is blocking my MAC would I be able to acces the internet if I changed it? Is it the LAN that messes this up? What are some possibilities or solutions to get past this? The default password is no longer active on our router because I was using that to login. Please help me. I am doing this behind my stepdad because he is very picky about my internet usage even though I am 17 and going to get my degree in computer science in the next years. Thanks.

You cant change MAC Addresses. That is hardwired into the network adapter and no way can be changed. You would physically have to take the network device out of one of the allowed machines and install it into yours.

Again you cant change it so no you wouldnt be able to access the net if you did. If he only allowed certain ones only to have access, only those can access the net.

There are no solutions to get past this. As per the rules of our site:

Tech-Forums is here for informative purposes only. We are not here to help bypass, or otherwise negate, security or any other measures put in place by a Employer, School or Parent.

Your stepdad put this restriction in place for a reason. Only he can remove it. We will not help you break something he has done.

Also READ THE RULES. Hacking and talks about hacking are strictly forbidden on this site. We will not allow talks of that here at all.

Our rules are clear. We cant help you with this. If he pays the bill for the internet, he can do what he pleases with it. He can pick and choose who uses it or who doesnt. That is his right and his choice. Talking to him is your only answer.

You can. Go to the adapter page on any PC right click on it and click properites. Go to the advanced tab and go to network address. Then from there enter the value of what you want it to be. It is simple I have gone that far.

That does nothing but change the MAC Address within Windows. Just like how behind a router your IP Address is different than what the world sees. There is no way to actually change the MAC Address. Not to the point that other machines or devices will not see the true value. All that is; is an illusion. It doesnt do anything and will not get you past the stepdad's setup and onto the internet.

You have had 2 people, 1 of which works as a System Administrator and does this everyday and someone who is a Microsoft MVP, both tell you it cant be done. Both of us doing this for over 20 years a piece. If you think otherwise that is fine, but we have been doing this long enough to know that the gimmicks in place within Windows or that you find on Google will not work. They only change the value within Windows and do not change the actual MAC address as that is burned onto a chip that is built into the network adapter itself. So unless you know what chip has that information and the ability to reporgram such a EPROM chip, then all you are doing is masking it within Windows and not changing anything for real.

The end result will not change. You will not get on the network, you will not get online bypassing your stepdad's setup. Plus it doesnt matter as we already stated we will not help with such things. It goes against our rules.

Topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom