lynksys modem, disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam amd.64

In Runtime
I have got a lynksys modem router , wag54 something like that. There are lights on the face of it, Power ADSL Port(s) WLAN Internet think thats right! well sometimes it wont have an internet connection, the internet light wont come on, i go to the router setup page and see the status and it says connecting and doesnt change, sometime u have to turn it off and on again a few times to get it on???

why? what is the problem?
we have got the basic broadband and have only had the problems with this modem even tho its the most expensive we've had!

Any help would be great!!!!!!!!! Thank You!

is THIS the router that you have??

Have you made sure that you upgraded the firmware for the router??

Also, how is the router set up... heat CAN be an issue if it doesn't have good ventilation... meaning, don't pile crap on top of it.

similar to that just not as high/tall, no nothing is on top of it! how do i upgrade the firmware?? cheers!

hrm... I didn't take a whole lot of time on the Linksys page, but it appeared that the product I linked you to was the ONLY one they had with a built in modem... (sorry, I am not too familiar with their products...).

If you have any spare cables around (ethernet or phone cord)... whichever you connect right into the router for the WAN (internet) connection, I would suggest trying to replace them.... it could be that you have a bad cable, or perhaps it isn't plugged in all of the way.

Generally, MOST routers have the main config page you can get to by typeing the IP address into a web browser.... (192.168.1.1 usually)... From there you can loging, change the configurations around, and there SHOULD be an option to UPGRADE FIRMWARE. If it isn't on a main menu, check the sub menu's also..

Also, if you still have the documentation (books and/or CD) that came with the router, it SHOULD provide upgrade instructions there.

Have you tried unplugging BOTH end of the cable, and plugging them back in to make sure that it was seated in the jack properly??

do you have any disconnect or static issues on your telephone lines at your home (that runs on the SAME DSL line)?

your original post says you have ADSL service.... This is brought to your home (or business) via traditional copper telephone lines. Does your home (or business) have telephones connected to the SAME line that the DSL comes in on?

If yes, do you have ANY PROBLEMS with your PHONE service? Calls randomly disconnecting, or bad static on the line when you talk to someone?

I ask this, because the DSL & phone are on the same medium, if your DSL randomly disconnects, and if you have trouble on your phone lines, it COULD be a PHYSICAL issue with the internal phone wiring at your house, or local telco phone lines....

I can help you trouble shoot an issue like this if you DO have phone problems also... If you DO NOT have phone problems, it is NOT LIKELY that such a physical condition would exist to effect ONLY your DSL service (unless its bad equipment in the CO, but that would likely effect MULTIPLE customers...)

i dont have a phone connected to the same line! it didnt happen with our last modem? only since ive changed, what is firmware? thank you for ur help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom