Low Ping/No internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I pinged it..
Came out like this:
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101 (which was the IP under the ipconfig thing..)
Packets sent=4 Packets recieved=4 packets lost= 0

Im clearly no expert, but shouldnt i be getting and sending many more packets?

I also tried this on the computer thats working.. I did the ipconfig thing and got the ip adress 192.168.0.1..
First of all Im noticeing that this is different.. Is that a problem?
Second, I tried pinging that ip on the working computer and got this
packets sent=4 packets recieved=0 packets lost=4 (100% loss)

What should my next step be?

DMan7701 said:
Ok I pinged it..
Came out like this:
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.101 (which was the IP under the ipconfig thing..)
Packets sent=4 Packets recieved=4 packets lost= 0

Im clearly no expert, but shouldnt i be getting and sending many more packets?

I also tried this on the computer thats working.. I did the ipconfig thing and got the ip adress 192.168.0.1..
First of all Im noticeing that this is different.. Is that a problem?
Second, I tried pinging that ip on the working computer and got this
packets sent=4 packets recieved=0 packets lost=4 (100% loss)

What should my next step be?

Winsock repair, ;)

unplug modem, unplug router, unplug everything associated with your connection EXCEPT your router's power

read your router's manual and find out how to do a hard reset (usually you get a paper clip and stick it in the "reset" hole for about 15 seconds and then release)

then replug and setup network again from router if you have to

that fixed it for me

well the problems not just with the router..
when i connect it to my computer stright from the modem i have the same problem... The routers not a part of the equation then and I still have the problem

DMan7701 said:
well the problems not just with the router..
when i connect it to my computer stright from the modem i have the same problem... The routers not a part of the equation then and I still have the problem
When you get around to it, try my suggestions above. I'll repeat them here:

1. Find another computer and connect it to the modem. (If new computer runs good, the problem is with your original computer.)

2. Try a different modem.

I'm using the same modem on the computer im on right now and its working fine, though every one and awhile i have to disconnect and reconnect because the connection becomes lost..

Im working on finding a new modem to try. Dont want to buy one and not need it.

Maybe it is my ethernet card?
The lights are on in the back, but In device manager it shows up with a yellow question mark..

How would I go about updateing the drivers on a computer which can't get onto the internet? Should I buy a new one?

Getting a new ethernet card is, or getting the correct drivers for the one you have, seems like the next thing to try.
As far as updating the drivers you will need to find out what ethernet card you have and then goto the manufacturers web site and download the driver, and follow the manufacturers instructions for installation. I can't tell you here because they arent' all installed the same way.
Winsock repair fixes problems in windows software that controls how programs access your network connections. Often a winsock problem will manifest as strange connections issues such as you can see other systems on the network but you can't go online. Or one paticular program cant see the network. The odds of it causing a new problem are very remote.

I think instead of dealing with these driver issues i'll just take your other advice and buy a new card..
Hopefully it solves the problem; I'll let you know.

No change with the new ethernet card.. There goes 30$
What am I doing wrong?
Did some option get turned off?
Is it a modem problem?
Maybe its not as complicated as it seems? Could it be something simple Im missing?
Help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom