Low Ping/No internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMan7701

Solid State Member
Hi everyone

ThereÂ’s something wrong with my computer and its network.
Originally I had an Ethernet connection through a router from the main computer. That was giving me a very slow ping. So I tried hooking the modem directly into my computer. Still a very low ping.
I called verizon, and they walked me through a few things that didn't help. (checking the IP, checking the internet options ect).
They told me there is something wrong with my computer thatÂ’s not letting it see the internet connection correctly.

I've tried uninstalling Windows SP2 since that as suggested to me, but that made my computer tweak out and not see any of my hardware. I had to system restore it.

That's probably not very clear, but basically does anyone know why my computer is barely seeing my internet connection? It barely receives 30 pings over the course of an hour on a connection that works perfectly fine on another computer...
Verizon mentioned it may be a setting or something I have turned on/off, but they wouldnt go into further detail.. Does anyone have any ideas?
Please help if you can..

Can you connect to the rest of the network? Has the connection aways been poor? How is your network set up? Is this a wired connection or a wireless one?
My first thought is a winsock problem. This is of course assuming that it is not a cable issue.
Try this program to fix winsock problems.

DMan7701 said:
I've tried uninstalling Windows SP2 since that as suggested to me, but that made my computer tweak out and not see any of my hardware. I had to system restore it.
Smack whoever suggested that. If SP2 was causing the problem, it was either because your firewall/connections settings weren't right, or you've got some kind of legacy modem that isn't supported. If it's the modem, chuck it and get a new one. They're cheap and not worth playing around with.

DMan7701 said:
Please help if you can..
Try another modem. Try a different cable. Try a different computer on that connection setup.

I'd be most interested in how the connection functions on another computer. If you can test that, and the connection is still the same, then you call Verizon up again and dish it out, because it's their problem. If you connect up another PC and it works better, then you know it's your PC.

We really need to be able to seperate out the possibilities.

The_Urge said:
Can you connect to the rest of the network? Has the connection aways been poor? How is your network set up? Is this a wired connection or a wireless one?
My first thought is a winsock problem. This is of course assuming that it is not a cable issue.
Try this program to fix winsock problems.

The main computer does see that Im connected.
The connection use to be great. As recently as January it was working perfectly when I came home for winter break.
As far as a wireless or wired connection, I tried both and got basically the same number of packets going back and forth.
Someone else also mentioned winsock to me.. But the download page doesnt help me because I cant get onto the internet on my computer... Should I maybe download it on this one then burn it to CD or something?

"-Try another modem. Try a different cable. Try a different computer on that connection setup.

I'd be most interested in how the connection functions on another computer. If you can test that, and the connection is still the same, then you call Verizon up again and dish it out, because it's their problem. If you connect up another PC and it works better, then you know it's your PC.-"

Verizon did walk me through the way my network connection setup should be.. They checked my IP adress as well. I did just try another cable, and that didn't solve the problem. As far as a new modem, since Verizon suppiled that, shouldn't they be supplying the new one?
I also thought the problem might be with my ethernet card?
Although less than a week ago I was at school using their connection just fine..

Call up Verizon and tell them you want a technician to come to your house to check things out. He'll have a modem with him and he can test the line. Worst case, he proves its your box. Best case, he puts on a new modem or tests the line and finds out the service if defunct.

Think it is a winsock problem then?
Will burning the program on a CD and opening it on the troubled computer have any effect?

It sounds like you have two computers on the same connection and one does not work. Therefore, as Shoobie said, it is unfortunatly your problem. Before you go trying to mess with advanced windows networking stuff, try using your troubled computer to ping your router (Your router is probably 192.168.0.1) Now, try transferring some files over the network between your two machines. If both things work, then at least your ethernet isn't a total loss. Since I don't know what Verizon did with you, try the following:

On the working machine, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> *right click* your network connection -> Properties -> Highlight TCP/IP -> Properties. Look at what the windows says, and make that same windows on the troubled machine look exactly the same.

If that does not fix your problem, try the winsock idea.

digitaloracle said:
It sounds like you have two computers on the same connection and one does not work. Therefore, as Shoobie said, it is unfortunatly your problem. Before you go trying to mess with advanced windows networking stuff, try using your troubled computer to ping your router (Your router is probably 192.168.0.1) Now, try transferring some files over the network between your two machines. If both things work, then at least your ethernet isn't a total loss. Since I don't know what Verizon did with you, try the following:

On the working machine, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections -> *right click* your network connection -> Properties -> Highlight TCP/IP -> Properties. Look at what the windows says, and make that same windows on the troubled machine look exactly the same.

If that does not fix your problem, try the winsock idea.

Yah it looks the same.. Just has the "obtain IP automatically" checked on both..
As far as using my troubled computer to ping my router... How do I do that?
And im getting so few packets on the troubled computer that it's like I dont even have an internet connection.. Sending files isnt even an option..

Also, something I just noticed (because I'm not bright) is that my ethernet card within device manage shows a little yellow question mark over the icon. I click on it though and it says "this device is working properly".. Maybe it is a driver thing, but it was working just fine at school less then a week ago.
I'll try the winsock idea as soon as I can find a blank cd.

To ping something, hit WINDOWS KEY + R, type in "cmd" in the run dialog, then in the prompt type "ping" followed by a space then the IP you want to ping.

Also, while in cmd, type in "ipconfig /all" and see if you actually have a network connection, if you dont (if you don't you won't see any numbers in the printout), try reinstalling the network drivers before trying more complicated solutions. And that yellow question mark really does mean there is somethign wrong, but if it says working properly, I don't know what to tell you. And it also means that you should probobly reinstall the drivers. If you don't have any for your card, if you have XP, just uninstall the device and reboot, letting windows install it for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom