Low connectivity, cannot see other networks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuriousJorj

Solid State Member
Hi all,

My Sony Laptop (I bought it used online - "Sony Vaio PCG-GRT270G") will not connect to the network, nor open web pages.

Anyhow, one day it suddenly said it was connected to this "fmc-guest" connection. Wouldn't show any other wireless networks (including my usual one). Couldn't open IE or Firefox. Said 'low connectivity.' (sometimes said 'strong,' but still wouldn't open web pages.)

Tried repairing, wouldn't work. Researched online, tried a BUNCH of things. Now, it claims it repairs itself.

Sometimes it won't renew the IP address, or clear the ARP cache, though usually does if I keep trying or restart and then try. Still won't open web pages.

Here are some 'warnings' and 'info' it gave in the "Event Viewer" that I copied. (I hope putting my IP address isn't a security risk!)

Warning: Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network

Card with network address 00028AB616A5. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the

network address (DHCP) server.

Warning: The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8CCAB5ED-9CEF-43B7-8B48-D4B0343BE071}.

Warning: Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00028AB616A5.

The IP address being used is 169.254.241.81.

Info:The system detected that network adapter LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter was connected to the

network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Then, after it claims it was repaired (but still couldn't see any other networks, nor open web pages) I get these messages:

Your computer has detected that the IP address 192.168.0.252 for the Network Card with network address 00028AB616A5

is already in use on the network. Your computer will automatically attempt to obtain a different address.

Oh, yeah, I tried unplugging our main router for 2 minutes. It's a pain for me to unplug the computers, so I didn't. No change. Oh, also saw this message in the Event Viewer:

(regarding the SQL Browser:)
The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance SONY_MEDIAMGR2 is not valid.

Not sure if any of this helps.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

thank you people!

the SQL event sounds irrelevant since SQL has nothing to do with networking.

try a static IP.
if you have another computer there that is working, ping a random address like 192.168.0.222. if there is no reply, statically set your PC to that address.
try to get out.

the SQL event sounds irrelevant since SQL has nothing to do with networking.

try a static IP.
if you have another computer there that is working, ping a random address like 192.168.0.222. if there is no reply, statically set your PC to that address.
try to get out.

Okay, I tried this on the system I'm on now, it said "Request Timed Out" all 4 times... (100% loss)

So you're saying I should manually set that as my laptop IP to that number and see what happens?

BTW, yes Spybot found virtuamonde during my attempting to troubleshoot this problem. Nothing else found anything. (almost thinking I should do a scan with 'show hidden files' too, though)

On the pc that's working (the one you're posting with), go to the command prompt and type 'ipconfig' without the quotes. What you're looking for is it's default gateway, subnet mask, and ip address. Write both of those down, then shut down the computer. Go to the broken pc, and manually configure it with the ip address, subnet mask and default gateway you wrote down. See if you get a proper connection.

If that doesn't work, clear the manual configuration before leaving (so when you start the working computer again, there won't be any chance of address conflict)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom